Excited New Member

The Nest

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
New Zealand
Hello world...

Tomorrow I get 2x Ancona pullets. This will be my first time owning chickens. I'm excited, perhaps too excited cos now there's soo much information to absorb that it's become little overwhelming.

I've chosen the specific breed for many suitable reasons (predator territory -pet cat & dog), white shelled eggs, Italian breed, lag eggs from early age & well into the winter, as well as adaptable to hardy environment.

Anyone else out there wanting to offer any guidance, please feel free to do so. Thanx.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your new Anconas!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Enjoy your new birds and we do welcome you to our flock! Mountain Peeps has left you with some great links to follow.

Welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Good luck with your Anconas!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised Anconas in the past, and they are good layers, and a great breed for free ranging. The only downsides to them are that they do not like confinement (not a problem if you're free ranging), and they tend to be high strung and flighty (mine screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them). Also, like other Mediterranean breeds, their combs tend to be prone to frostbite where winter temperatures drop below freezing, so if this happens in your area, I would put some Vaseline on their combs for protection on those sub-freezing temperature days. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Anconas.

They will do a lot better if the dog and cat don't co-mingle with them. Most common predator of chickens are the owner's own pets or neighbors letting their dogs run loose in the neighborhood. I've never heard of a chicken killing a dog but, most new members report the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom