1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Excited Portland Kiddos to Get Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lifetish, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Lifetish

Lifetish New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    For years I've watched and learned with my friends chickens and now in our new place (with no HOA restrictions), we will bring home 2 day-old Chicks Wed. They are to hatch on Sunday (wish we were there). My 9 year old has named hers Little Chestnut (she gets the Red Sex Link). My 12 year old fancied a dark egg, so she picked the Copper Maran. My husband wanted Blue eggs, so he chose an Easter Egger /Ameracauna, and I fancied the Laced Silver Wyandotte. The eggs will be identifiable, but we will share the responsibilities and the coddling. We homeschool, so lots of learning and discussions have taken place in the past month since we were given dibs on a great coop. We pick up the coop today and will have plenty of time to clean and prep it while the wee ones start off with their heat lamp in a crate in our garage.

Any books out there great for kids and chickens? With playful diagrams, small-portion tidbits speckled through out the book or good morals. If not, let me know, cause I fancy doing a book like that if it's not out there.

Bringing Little Chestnut Home: Raising Backyard Chickens with Loving Kids

JAU&E

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I hope your new chicken adventures go well and your chicks hatch safely. Raising chicks and chickens really is a hobby the whole family can enjoy. It's great for getting kids out in the fresh air too. I'm sure there are some books available in the BYC store, here is the link ~ http://www.coopedup.net/buy/

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will update with photos, once everyone is hatched and home. [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'm sure the whole family will become hooked on keeping chickens very soon.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

6. Lifetish

Lifetish New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    [​IMG] We passed on red sex link and took home two Easter eggers plus the silver Wyandotte[​IMG] and copper Maran. So cute and happy!! Two names this far - Little Chesnut for brown Easter egged and Lady Eboshi for the Wyandotte. My 12 year old wants input from her friends before naming hers.

7. Lifetish

Lifetish New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    So here is my family giving the love to help 'em like people. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by