Excited to be a new member on BYC!!

JimandTerry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Can someone tell me if this is a hen or rooster?

Thanks ... we thought originally a hen but it has been crowing better than the rooster we have. I will get a closer picture of the chicken.

welcome-byc.gif

ya.gif
Hi From Jacksonville! Beautiful Polish - I am going to say Rooster. Hard to tell from that angle. What I am looking at - And anyone with Polish might know better so I will defer if I am incorrect.....I am looking at the feathers around the neck. Roosters get these dagger shaped neck feathers which are long and thin and when they feel threatened they can raise them up to look menacingly fierce. Like a Lions mane.

Your chicken appears to have those feathers. I could be wrong. I do not own a polish hen or rooster. Roosters Combs and wattles become very bright at a much younger age. And then there is the crowing -

Caroline

Thanks Caroline!!

Appreciate your feedback - Its' my first time having chickens and I didn't think when we bought chicks they would give us 2 roosters however, I can only assume they couldn't tell the sex that young. I don't know what happens when you have 2 roosters.

Welcome to BYC JimandTerry! X2 on Kelsie2290's advice. Looks like rooster to me, beautiful bird!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom