Excited to be here!

CrazedGirl

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
Maryland
Hey everyone!

My name is Lauren, I’m 28 years old full time vet tech. Between myself and my husband we have 2 dogs, 4 cats, 11 snakes, 1 lizard, and bins with worms for composting, super worms and dubias. I primarily take care of the reptiles while the cute and cuddly critters are my husbands favorite. We will also be getting meat rabbits and honey bees within the next few years.

We live on 3.25acres of hill and will be getting our first chicks soon! I’ll be having a coop made since neither of us have the time, or know how, to make a coop. A few breeds I want to get are:

- Orpingtons (there is a local breeder settling Mottled Lavenders!)
- Ameracaunas
- Easter Eggers
- Olive Eggers
- Silkies (husbands favorite)

We are getting chickens for a number of reasons: eggs, and meat. I’m aware the breeds I am looking into are primarily used for eggs which is why meat is last.

Open to meeting like minded individuals! :D

welcome-group.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Build a larger coop than you think you will need.

chicken_math.jpg

Hi Lauren and welcome to BYC. Some peeps chose dual purpose breeds whereas others go for broilers and layers.

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hey everyone!

My name is Lauren, I’m 28 years old full time vet tech. Between myself and my husband we have 2 dogs, 4 cats, 11 snakes, 1 lizard, and bins with worms for composting, super worms and dubias. I primarily take care of the reptiles while the cute and cuddly critters are my husbands favorite. We will also be getting meat rabbits and honey bees within the next few years.

We live on 3.25acres of hill and will be getting our first chicks soon! I’ll be having a coop made since neither of us have the time, or know how, to make a coop. A few breeds I want to get are:

- Orpingtons (there is a local breeder settling Mottled Lavenders!)
- Ameracaunas
- Easter Eggers
- Olive Eggers
- Silkies (husbands favorite)

We are getting chickens for a number of reasons: eggs, and meat. I’m aware the breeds I am looking into are primarily used for eggs which is why meat is last.

Open to meeting like minded individuals! :D
hi.gif
WELCOME ARROW SMILE.gif

:yuckyuck

Hi Lauren, welcome to Backyard Chickens. I think your husband would enjoy checking out the "Silkie thread," on BYC. BTW Silkies are probably considered the No.1 broody, breed.

Broodies love to sit on/hatch fertile eggs, and raise chicks. In fact Silkies usually aren't good layers, because after some eggs, they decide to go broody and hatch them. While they are broody (hormonal occurrence) you can slip eggs of any breed under them and they will hatch and raise as their own.

Back
Top Bottom