Excited to Join the Forum

RMHughes

Chirping
Jan 22, 2021
We raised chickens three years ago, but a disaster happened when we went on vacation and predators wiped out our entire family of chickens. It's taken us three years to feel confident enough to try again. We just ordered eight chicken, seven female, one male. We are only interested in eggs, not butchering. We ordered all eight of them in different breeds (hoping that wasn't a mistake). I love the fresh eggs, and my older kids love the pet aspect of raising chickens. This year we decided to put our forty acres to use and are trying to learn to live more off what we catch and kill than the grocery store. My husband and I have five children, four still at home, one grown that gave us two beautiful grandchildren. I'm a romance author who works from home.

Attachments

• Brown Plain Collage Facebook Post.png
    Brown Plain Collage Facebook Post.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
We raised chickens three years ago, but a disaster happened when we went on vacation and predators wiped out our entire family of chickens. It's taken us three years to feel confident enough to try again. We just ordered eight chicken, seven female, one male. We are only interested in eggs, not butchering. We ordered all eight of them in different breeds (hoping that wasn't a mistake). I love the fresh eggs, and my older kids love the pet aspect of raising chickens. This year we decided to put our forty acres to use and are trying to learn to live more off what we catch and kill than the grocery store. My husband and I have five children, four still at home, one grown that gave us two beautiful grandchildren. I'm a romance author who works from home.
Awesome! You might have wanted to do 8 females - since sexing is only 80-95% accurate (depends on the place) you will likely get one boy in there as a mistake.

I can go order a few more. Thank you for that. Curious, will more than one male chicken fight a lot?
It depends. I read something brilliant the other day in a chickens book...hmm.
It basically said, if you have two roosters, there will likely be one alpha (dominant) and one omega. They will spur sometimes, but one will realize that he is no match for the others and back down.
But sometimes, if the two roosters are equally matched in fighting ability and spirit, they will fight each other so horribly that they must be separated...or you will come out to the coop one day with one less rooster.
That being said, most of the time they are fine, and the alpha keeps the lower guy in his place.
Also, what breeds did you order? Most are fine together, but I don’t recommend doing bantams AND large fowl (especially as chicks, the bantams are delicate and crushable. I also don’t recommend doing a bunch of normal looking chickens (think: Plymouth Barred Rock) and then one random frizzled crested thing that will get picked on.

Back
Top Bottom