Exciting day!

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
So I ordered my plucker today and I also ordered 50 Freedom Rangers so I could give them a try. They will get here next week right around when I will be ready to empty out the grow out pen since my Australorps are 8 weeks old. Then I will have 25 Dorking roosters coming the week after so I will be able to compare Dorkings versus Freedom Ranger. I will also be growing out several batches of DP Roosters as well. Hoping to have them all grown out and processed before November this year.

I will be feeding them fermented feed from the beginning. The only difference between their feed and the adult feed is that I will grind up the grains a bit for the younger birds so it is easier for them to process since some of the grains are quite large.

Should be an interesting year. Can't wait to get started.

Tried to convince my Australorp pullets that the older girls wouldn't eat them (they are 8 weeks old) The girls joined the babies for outside time and snack today and were very careful but still every time they so much as looked at the babies they took off and went to hide back in the grow out coop. Hoping that by the time I am ready to use the grow out coop for the meaties the girls will be feeling a little better about my older hens. This might take a little while.

Thank goodness my first order won't be here until Next Friday and my next order won't be here until the Wednesday after that. So I have a little time to get the teens to grow up a bit lol.

Back
Top Bottom