Excuses, Excuses

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by becky3086, Jan 2, 2010.

1. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    So I am looking around the yard today, trying to figure out what I can make a killing cone out of. I didn't see anything even remotely cone like or that could be made cone like. So I thought to myself, even if I had a good hatchet I could, eventually get rid of some of these spare roosters myself. Since I have gotten back into chickens, quail and ducks, Phil has not been as helpful as he once was with helping kill anything, and this is my venture, so I really need to be able to do it on my own. I looked around and saw that big ole welsummer roo in the duck pen where he ran yesterday when I was putting the ducks in, and I thought how much easier he would be to catch in there, if I just had a way to......and then I realized. I WAS STALLING! I was making up excuses to not get that roo done and I have been stalling for a while now. The last batch of roos, I actually gave away! Now what a waste of food that was. [​IMG] I went out with my little quail knife, caught the roo, held him down with one knee and cut the throat. Took a little bit to skin him because I am not used to skinning but I got it done and then brought him in, washed him etc. put him in the pressure cooker/canner and wouldn't you know it, the gasket wouldn't seal [​IMG] , lol. I still cooked it until the meat came off the bone and then bagged it up and froze it and put the stock in a jar and froze it too. I would rather have canned it to save freezer space but it will just have to do. At least I have quit making up excuses. [​IMG]

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    well youre lucky...
    i have a cone, everything ready for butchering,
    but all my hens produce are pullets... it would be such a waist to kill a pullet [​IMG]

3. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Way to go becky! "Best tastin' chicken just gave ya breakfast" is what granny used to say!

5. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Congratulations!! We processed 2 extra roos in June. No funnel, but got the job done. [​IMG] someone made the comment abuot using a highway road cone for a funnel. i know where there's a littleone sitting that I'm gonna pick up Monday, just right to use.
    Th eAmish in our area say to pressure cook the chicken til falls off the bone, and put meat with broth in a jar, then pressure can. You have meat and broth in each jar. that's what I'm gonna do next processing.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yeah, I would have done that, if the canner had worked. I ordered a new gasket though, so the next roo will end up in jars.

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Good for you getting it done!

We use a highway road cone (like ChickenCat mentioned). We've cut the tip off. Works great. DH helps with the 'hatchet part' - he's stronger than me and more efficient.

I do more of the processing - skin most of the dual purpose roos since they're not meaty enough for a nice roaster. We keep the boneless skinless breast and can most of the dark meat, cook down the bones for stock and can it too.

I really prefer to do 4-6 at a time. If I have to take time out and 'gear myself up' - then I want a batch large enough to really get something done. LOL...if I'm going to deal with blood and guts, then it's not gonna be for one roo. But that does also cause procrastination for just the right day to do a bunch at once.

8. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    well i can see why you were stalling, i would [​IMG]

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yeah, it is not exactly something I look forward to but until I get better equiped, I will just do a few at a time. I think tomorrow will be another quail day, I have way too many, sigh.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if you have a thin sheet of iron you can always roll it to shape like a cone and pop rivets the joint... won't last long cause it'll rust, but they're easy enough to make...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by