Existing Flock Not Accepting New Pullets

Lulabell Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Greensboro, NC
I have 4 hens who are just over a year old. I recently introduced 2 new pullets and it's not going well. I did everything that was suggested: for several weeks I took the pullets outside for playtime in a dog crate so the others could see and hear them. I added on an additional run for more space where the 4 mo pullets lived for a week with just a piece of hardware mesh separating them from the others. When I removed the mesh the new girls were absolutely terrified by the hens and their pecking. It stayed like that for several days so I put a divider back up but let them out to free range together. After a few weeks the divider is down but the hens will have nothing to do with then. If the pullets roost in the coop, the hens sleep on an outside roost in the run. The don't free range together. One of my hens is being a bully so I removed her for 3 nights but she's back at it. The pullets still freak out around the hens when in the coop and it just makes things worse. Will they ever accept the new girls? Is their any hope for harmony maybe once the pullets begin laying?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Put them all together with lots of obstacles so they can get away. Then go out with treats several times a day and get their mind more on the treats than eachother. Food makes things better.

It's normal for them not to hang out with each other. It would be best if they could go outside and free range during the daylight hours. That way everyone can get away from one another. Of course I always will lock up new chickens in the coop for 1 week in the beginning to make sure they know to come into the roost at night. Chickens raised together always seem to prefer each other over new chickens. If possible add an extra roost in your coop for the new girls. Make sure there is more than 1 feed and water station, so no one gets kept from water. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I added an extra run and roost. When I let them out to free range the two pullets go one way and the others go another. If the Pullets go inside to roost for the evening the others sleep on an outside roost in the run. They literally won't be in the same "room" together. So sad!

Back
Top Bottom