1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Exit Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thumbless, Jan 4, 2010.

1. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I have a hen that is 15 weeks old and her poo is building up on the back end. I have pulled it off so much she no longer has tail feathers should I not worry about this or is there somthing that could be done.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    WASH it off; apply baby powder; but most importantly check for mites/lice and treat if needed.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    When mine have had that problem there has been a coinciding digestive issue. I would watch her crop, her weight, and how she's eating and drinking just in case.

4. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    After washing it off, use some vaseline on the naked areas. It will keep the skin from tearing more and let the poop fall off. You might also give her some yogurt with live cultures.
    Slinky

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Get some yogurt with active cultures and without fake sugar. Mix some with Cheerios (it helps the chickens to actually ingest some of the yogurt and not 'fling' it everywhere) and feed it to them once a day for at least 10 days. You can alos mix it with another kind of cereal but nothing with high fiber that could expand too much in their crop and cause problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by