Exotic/Hybrid Cats

My mother used to run a rescue for exotic "pets."

People would buy them, spend exorbitant amounts of money for wild animals, try to turn them into pets, and then dump them. You name it, we took it in, and either kept it for life, rehabbed it and placed it elsewhere, or had to put it down because it was so damaged.

Since this post is about cats, I'll stick with cats. We had (that I can remember):

Bobcats
Servals
Fisher cats
Bengals
Tigers
Mountain Lions
Lions
Lynx
Caracals

Guess how many made a good pet?

None. (Well I take it back, the Bengals weren't so bad, but most were pretty late generation. The high generation ones were holy terrors. And there was one bobcat I was terribly fond of...until it took a chunk out of a handler on a whim.)

And nothing would make us angrier than a declawed bobcat. Or a mountain lion with no teeth. Mutilated in an attempt to mold these creatures into pets.

Working with these animals was an amazing experience I wouldn't trade for the world. But I would *never* buy any of these to keep for myself, even though I am *experienced* in keeping and providing suitable care for these species (among many many others). There are a FEW species I would consider keeping again....very few. And I highly doubt I would actually ever do it unless it became a situation where a suitable home was needed and I could provide that home.

I have a Bengal and a Savannah. I think it all depends on the breeder and how well socialized the parents and kittens are. Our Bengal is really wild because the breeder kept them in large zoo like exhibits. He was suppose to be a stud cat so he wasn't socialized before we got him. He is really neat and fun to watch. He will come to you but if you reach for him he runs away. Our Savannah is still pretty new so I can't tell if he will open up or not. Both are neat for looks and the occasional play time but don't expect a cuddly typical cat. They can also jump really high and will jump onto cabinets, fridges, etc and can get bored easily. They also cost more for vet care and food depending on how high the wild cat percentage is. Both of my cats have to eat a raw diet because they get sick from normal cat foods. I mix Innova EVO dry food with a raw mixture. It can add up with prices.

I want a Savannah soo badly! Someday... *sigh*
*but he'd probably eat my other cats, so probably wont happen..
hit.gif

epona142, couldnt have said it better myself...this also goes for wolf/coytoe and other hybrids...

i hav eno problem with the LATE generation bengal and savannahs, F3 and beyond where thye become much more domesticated...
but the NORMAL AVERAGE owner has no buisness taing in exotics or early generation hybrids.
only those incredibly dedicated with alot of time, patients and space should even consider the earier generations.

Back
Top Bottom