Expanding a store bought chicken coop.

As junebuggena said, you can turn the entire thing into a coop by tearing out the existing tiny coop inside, then running a roost lengthwise and putting in new next boxes where they'll fit. Cover up some of the wire sections as needed to create new walls to ward off wind and rain.

I did a conversion job on my prefab coop by ripping out the existing nest box and running a longer roost through the spot where it had been. A new ground level nest box (a modified dog house with a little entry tunnel) was added to the outside of the coop by cutting a passage through a back wall.

i just expanded the coop for now, as the chicks get bigger i will build an attached run and more nesting boxes under the three that are part of the orignal coop.
i was only going to get three chicks put the store says it is a state law that you have to get 6 min. only one was sexed so i got 5 staight runs, i figure as they start to show being roosters, i'll be removing them.

There is a feed store near me that will allow people to buy three chicks or more which is a little more manageable than six, but I think it would be nice to find a place without a minimum.

My feed store will let you buy 1 at a time but they will ask if you have other chicks the same age. If you have a state law or store policy that doesn't allow for them to sell less than 6, you could also try splitting an order with someone?

Added a new door to my coop today and let the chicks out to explore a little

To my prebuilt coop that is very, very similar except red...I did exactly what junebuggena recommended and put it inside it's own run. Meaning I took off the nest box and took out the upper inside floor and covered the sides in plywood leaving a few inches at top for ventilation. Put a roost longways and my two roosters that I couldn't make my mind up about...spent the winter in it. They wanted to sleep on top most of the time(run was covered) but when it got really cold the dummies did cuddle up inside. I am getting it ready now for four new chicks. :)

Back
Top Bottom