Expanding coop suggestions?

KBNAZ

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2012
South Carolina
Hey all. We have a 4x8 coop with run underneath currently housing 6 birds. 1 roo will go to a new home soon. We also have 7 littles in a grow out coop. I don’t think they can all comfortably sleep in the big coop. There is just one 8 foot roosting bar. Any suggestions on how to explains this coop to house more birds without spending a ton? Could I enclose the downstairs part? They have a fenced yard and are only locked in the coop at night. Would it be better to just get a second structure? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1BDBF209-B8E2-4B00-96A8-F860895B8431.jpeg
    1BDBF209-B8E2-4B00-96A8-F860895B8431.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • 0EE1CA8B-550F-4A9C-9127-C58A780E6FFB.jpeg
    0EE1CA8B-550F-4A9C-9127-C58A780E6FFB.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 38
First of all, it looks like you need more ventilation. You could enclose the bottom, but it would need an anti dig apron.

Enclosing the bottom does not increase usable square footage.

If you pull off the wall we can see, add another 4x8 onto it, enclose the ends, add more rafters, then put the end wall back on it would be an 8x8 and COULD hold all your birds.
It would also be a nightmare to tend inside things.

Best plan would be to build, buy, seek out a used 8x8 shed and convert it. If you want to stay with your current 4x8 footprint you can house up to 8 birds provided the nest boxes are external.

First of all, it looks like you need more ventilation. You could enclose the bottom, but it would need an anti dig apron.
Yes. Thanks. Actually this is an older picture. I have since added more ventilation but didn’t take a new picture. I’ve got outdoor carpet burrows around the perimeter but could definitely need that up a bit.

Would it be better to just get a second structure?
I like that idea.
I keep 2 small flocks (12 total at the moment) in two coops/pens. I purchase a batch of chicks every 2 years (or sooner) to replace the older flock.
I like that I don't have to integrate.
The pens are connected by a gate so I can walk between them.
20210510_095524_resized.jpg

GC

Last edited:
You could build your own second structure quickly if you go with a simple 8x8 box structure using 2x4's for the frame and 2 4x8 plywood panels on each side. Prices on dimensional lumber have finally come down, and if you have a salvage yard in the area, the cost is basically half of the "Big box" stores. Go with a lean to single slope roog with steel roof panels, and studs set 24" apart in the walls, aand 16" in the roof. The nice thing is you can set up the footers on stones, and give the flock a place to get out of the sun. If you have experience with framing, have the tools, and can enlist/draft/bribe freinds and/or family to help, you can put this style up fairly quickly. I've built a coop like this in the past, and it saves you time by not having to do as many cuts as you might need to do with more elaborate structures. With the roof, you enclose the area between the roof and the coop with hardware cloth, and it gives you extra ventilation. Cut and frame your pop door, and as may windows as you want. If you set it all on stones instead of sinking the corner posts in the ground, in may areas it would be classified as a "temporary structure", and you won't need to get a building permit. You have the advantage of all of the land, so as your flock grows, you can build another coop as you need it to deal with the inevitable "chicken math".

4x8 simply isn't big enough for 12 birds.

The Usual Guidelines say that for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
That means that 12 hens need:
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
Since you're in South Carolina, have you considered an Open Air coop -- which is a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the end towards the winter winds?

Alternately, you might consider a hoop coop. Both of these options are cheaper than a traditional, fully-enclosed, wooden coop. :)

I like that idea.
I keep 2 small flocks (12 total at the moment) in two coops/pens. I purchase a batch of chicks every 2 years (or sooner) to replace the older flock.
I like that I don't have to integrate.
The pens are connected by a gate so I can walk between them.View attachment 2779419
GC
I like this idea. Perhaps it will allow us to keep both of our roos. Thanks!

4x8 simply isn't big enough for 12 birds.

The Usual Guidelines say that for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
That means that 12 hens need:
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
Since you're in South Carolina, have you considered an Open Air coop -- which is a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the end towards the winter winds?

Alternately, you might consider a hoop coop. Both of these options are cheaper than a traditional, fully-enclosed, wooden coop. :)
Great information. Thank you! I will look into an open air coop. I hadn’t heard of this before. I have been looking at hoop coops too. That would be a less expensive option maybe.

Back
Top Bottom