Expanding coop suggestions?

Yes. Thanks. Actually this is an older picture. I have since added more ventilation but didn’t take a new picture. I’ve got outdoor carpet burrows around the perimeter but could definitely need that up a bit.
How about some updated pics then?
Do the nests take up any of the 4x8 foot print?

Hey all. We have a 4x8 coop with run underneath currently housing 6 birds. 1 roo will go to a new home soon. We also have 7 littles in a grow out coop. I don’t think they can all comfortably sleep in the big coop. There is just one 8 foot roosting bar. Any suggestions on how to explains this coop to house more birds without spending a ton? Could I enclose the downstairs part? They have a fenced yard and are only locked in the coop at night. Would it be better to just get a second structure? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
70FEAD74-4B9F-4274-9B1D-874CCB4C9DE0.jpeg
4DEC3610-E5A2-41A5-A7A3-2F00C477552F.jpeg
A6C10B93-1C50-4D49-9887-21DADBFB053E.jpeg
I started with the gray TSC coop that I attached to an 8x32’ chain link fence run. Next came the raised red 4x12 coop with enclosed bottom. Then I attached a 4x6 house/shelter to end opposite of the coop. Additional run connected via enclosed overpass is 10x20’. Both runs have roof covering half of each area. The beige coop-in-progress is 4x16’. Additional fir store bought mini coop along with the gray one are used for broody hens - one hatched 3 little ones and the other is sitting on 12 eggs. Also have (not pictured) a 1000ish square foot run with housing for meat chickens. The buildings are like chicken math - I wanted 6-8 hens and have 34, with 5 Roos. 3 of the roosters are Bielefelders, which we are transitioning to. The latest coop has a temporary run which will become a 16x32’ covered run. And then there are the quail…!
B4AEB830-27ED-48D9-8CFD-9D9374EF23C5.jpeg

View attachment 2780720View attachment 2780721View attachment 2780722I started with the gray TSC coop that I attached to an 8x32’ chain link fence run. Next came the raised red 4x12 coop with enclosed bottom. Then I attached a 4x6 house/shelter to end opposite of the coop. Additional run connected via enclosed overpass is 10x20’. Both runs have roof covering half of each area. The beige coop-in-progress is 4x16’. Additional fir store bought mini coop along with the gray one are used for broody hens - one hatched 3 little ones and the other is sitting on 12 eggs. Also have (not pictured) a 1000ish square foot run with housing for meat chickens. The buildings are like chicken math - I wanted 6-8 hens and have 34, with 5 Roos. 3 of the roosters are Bielefelders, which we are transitioning to. The latest coop has a temporary run which will become a 16x32’ covered run. And then there are the quail…!View attachment 2780724
Ha! You have the start of one of those little chicken towns I have seen. I was seriously considering this. Today we sectioned off a portion of the fenced area for our little ones to have more space, but then we saw a hawk… so now I am looking at building a coop and a fully covered run. Most expensive eggs ever!
Definitely needs paint. The nests are in the back bump out. I opened up 3 for ventilation and still have 3 neats behind the little white sliding doors. Also including a pic of our grow out coop and littles. We just sectioned off an area of yard for them to get out a bit… then saw a hawk flying. So we are thinking this coop expansion needs to include a covered run or at the very least some overhead bird netting.

Attachments

• 4A65FB16-C8D0-44E3-93FE-352C504284DA.jpeg
    4A65FB16-C8D0-44E3-93FE-352C504284DA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • C5675A92-7E0B-488C-95AF-3ED6CFAC0B5A.jpeg
    C5675A92-7E0B-488C-95AF-3ED6CFAC0B5A.jpeg
    896.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 393E2DA9-186A-450A-BCDB-239DF928E6B8.jpeg
    393E2DA9-186A-450A-BCDB-239DF928E6B8.jpeg
    1,020 KB · Views: 13
  • B27BA619-8B8F-41FA-B570-4BBDEC41CD4F.jpeg
    B27BA619-8B8F-41FA-B570-4BBDEC41CD4F.jpeg
    753.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 71A9DFAF-EE7E-46D8-865C-A4E8ABCF8A91.jpeg
    71A9DFAF-EE7E-46D8-865C-A4E8ABCF8A91.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Enclosing the bottom does not increase usable square footage.

If you pull off the wall we can see, add another 4x8 onto it, enclose the ends, add more rafters, then put the end wall back on it would be an 8x8 and COULD hold all your birds.
It would also be a nightmare to tend inside things.

Best plan would be to build, buy, seek out a used 8x8 shed and convert it. If you want to stay with your current 4x8 footprint you can house up to 8 birds provided the nest boxes are external.
Thank you. Yes. 8x8 seems like a nightmare to clean. We found some great solid pallets locally for $3 each. We’ve started to build a second coop to put In the fenced chicken yard. I think that is our best bet and will give us some flexibility if we need to separate out some of the flock or the roos we can’t seem to rehome yet.

Attachments

• 75E6FF7E-F322-44AD-ABF6-3C3236CCB19A.jpeg
    75E6FF7E-F322-44AD-ABF6-3C3236CCB19A.jpeg
    850.3 KB · Views: 12
Thank you. Yes. 8x8 seems like a nightmare to clean. We found some great solid pallets locally for $3 each. We’ve started to build a second coop to put In the fenced chicken yard. I think that is our best bet and will give us some flexibility if we need to separate out some of the flock or the roos we can’t seem to rehome yet.

I am a bit jealous of those great pallets you scored!!! :yesss:

It is definitely helpful to have a space to segregate problem birds like extra roosters.

Definitely document how you get them all put together. Many people can benefit from seeing how it all works out.

21hens - I’m confused: why wouldn’t the enclosed area under the coop count in the square footage? My chickens visit the area underneath the coop quite often. They can get sun or shade, dust bathe and nap. There’s always activity under there …

21hens - I’m confused: why wouldn’t the enclosed area under the coop count in the square footage? My chickens visit the area underneath the coop quite often. They can get sun or shade, dust bathe and nap. There’s always activity under there …

When looking at roosting space they will choose the highest place possible. While roaming they are on the ground looking for goodies to eat.

In the OP's case they are looking at needing additional roosting space therefore that space under the coop doesn't count.

While birds will use the space under the coop it counts toward run space not coop space.

8x8 seems like a nightmare to clean.

Huh?

8x8 is easy to clean -- plenty of room to walk in and move around without banging into the roosts and equipment.

(Read this thread before making a coop or run half-high: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-reason-to-build-a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/ )

why wouldn’t the enclosed area under the coop count in the square footage?

An enclosed area under the coop counts as part of the run, not part of the coop.

Huh?

8x8 is easy to clean -- plenty of room to walk in and move around without banging into the roosts and equipment.

(Read this thread before making a coop or run half-high: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-reason-to-build-a-full-height-coop-run.1484191/ )

An enclosed area under the coop counts as part of the run, not part of the coop.

I think the nightmare to clean was in response to my least expensive option of expanding the existing raised coop.....which would make it 8x8 raised and a nightmare to clean with a short inside height.

Back
Top Bottom