Expanding my flock!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by txchickie, Aug 21, 2010.

1. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I am after 6 new layers for this next spring [​IMG] I plan on ordering around 9-10 total and picking my favorites..

I wanted 3 new breeds, something that can handle the cold (it gets down to the single digits with neg windchills here in the winter), something that is NOT normally broody (have enough broodies with the banty hens [​IMG]), friendly and calm disposition, and something that is a good layer of a big pretty egg!

I was considering:
    Speckled sussex
    Silver laced wyandotte
    australorp
    buff orpington (but read these are broody?)
    salmon favorelle
    barred rock
    gold or red sex links

Any thoughts or suggestions?? [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I'd choose speckled Sussex and Faverolles. Plus the Favs are known for laying throughout the winter, thought their eggs are on the smaller side more like medium/large...the combs on the sexlinks will probably be more prone to frost bite. The Wyandottes and the Australorps would be good too! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You cant go wrong with Barred Rocks. They are very friendly and reliable layers in all types of weather and temp extremes.

4. txchickie

txchickie Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I ended up ordering already...I can't help myself [​IMG] I ordered speckled sussex, silver laced wyandotte, and rhode island red. My DH insisted on the RIR's [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by