Experience with clavamox for resp infection?

Nckyturkma

Chirping
Apr 10, 2023
Prunedale, CA
Hello everyone. I looked in our 14-week-old rooster's mouth two days ago and noticed he had some yellowish stuff in the back of his throat. We were not sure if it was food (looked sort of like cracked corn) or something like canker. We often see him with his beak slightly open, and lately noticed him wheezing. I took him to the vet and she didn't see anything in the back of his throat, so she said it was likely food. However She looked and saw a tiny string (or something- we weren't sure what it was) wound once tightly around his tongue. She had to cut it off. She said he had some foam in his throat (maybe just spit from the stress of taking him to the vet) and she did a swab and when she looked at it under the scope she told me he has a respiratory infection, which she said may have been caused by the foreign object around his tongue. She said a light course of antibiotics would likely do the trick, and prescribed 2.4 ml of Clavamox twice a day until finished (I think it is a week or so course). Anyways, today was his second day of meds and while he seems fine otherwise, he is still quite wheezy (almost like someone with asthma trying to breath). How long do these sort of infections take to improve? Would his infection be contagious to our little hen? I've been cleaning out the waterer with bleach and water. As a side note, in case it is of importance, one of them had two bloody poops two weeks ago. They were both treated with Corid in water and there were no more bloody poops. Thank you!

Update: Rooster seems a bit better, but hard to tell. He has no sneezing, no foam in eyes, no discharge from nares, no reduced vigor or lethargy. He runs around the yard and doesn't seem to have issues with exercise. I have watched him eat, though he doesn't have a huge appetite (but never really has). He has not lost weight. He has normal poops. His crop seems to be emptying fine. His only symptoms are that you can audibly hear him breathing, as if he has asthma, no gurgling or wet noises, just a little wheezy (but no gasping). I also notice he seems to have his mouth slightly open quite often, but not all the time. I think his breathing sounds less wheezy after 5 days of clavamox, but I can still hear it. I called the vet and she couldn't tell me what bacteria she saw, but just said it showed up with the gram stain (he had and still has some foam in the back of his throat). She said it is likely not contagious to the others because she is attributing the infection to that string she found around his tongue. I almost want to look in his throat more, but his mouth is so tiny it's really hard to see anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom