Experience with keeping Doves & Pigeons together?

Tebriel

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
Hello, looking to see other people's experiences with keeping Ringneck Doves with Pigeons. I have heard some different opinions and concerns with male Pigeons with a female Dove. I have a male Ringneck Dove with a female Birmingham Roller(she is still quite young, so not yet interested in bonding with the dove), and thus far things have been good. I have kept both pigeons and doves in the past, but never together. I've read/heard several success stories where the pair form strong bonds and even produce hybrid offspring(that are sterile). Where this is new territory for me, we have just been monitoring the interactions between the pair and are curious as to what others may suggest/have experienced. Thanks so much!

Oh wow! The ringnecks did a pretty good job of raising them, eh?
Yes. The ring neck pair were to old to llay but kept mating and building a nest. The hen did eventually lay a single yolkless egg; at which point I gave them the homer eggs. It has been a number of years so I do not remember the variety but the homing pigeons had shorter bill than other breeds; but not extremely short like owl pigeons.

Hello, looking to see other people's experiences with keeping Ringneck Doves with Pigeons. I have heard some different opinions and concerns with male Pigeons with a female Dove. I have a male Ringneck Dove with a female Birmingham Roller(she is still quite young, so not yet interested in bonding with the dove), and thus far things have been good. I have kept both pigeons and doves in the past, but never together. I've read/heard several success stories where the pair form strong bonds and even produce hybrid offspring(that are sterile). Where this is new territory for me, we have just been monitoring the interactions between the pair and are curious as to what others may suggest/have experienced. Thanks so much!
It depends on the birds. My little ringneck Drury is fiesty, and I briefly had a male roller who wanted to mate with him, but Drury was having none of it (just flirting and only being swiped at). No attacking, but I never really tested them directly together. My fantail baby Hates him, and they do try to go after each other (But she’s mated to me). Seeing as your roller is more his size, they should be fine as long as they don’t show aggression.

About a year ago I added 2 Frillbacks to my aviary with 14 Tangerine Doves. They have always gotten along. Only once and a while have I seen then challenge each other for a premium perch spot, They all get along at the food trough and eat next to each other. I just added 2 Fantails to the mix, and so far everyone appears to be friends. There are also 2 Silkie chickens but since they are always on the ground they and the pigeons/Doves only interact at meal times and they also seem to get along. So I'd say as long as they can each have their own space and not be forced to perch on top of each other they should all be fine together

I think because your dove is the male and your pigeon is female you should be fine. Does the dove call to her or try to mate with her yet? Usually when kept in groups of their own species the doves and pigeons will choose mates of the same species but since you just have the two together I think they will pair up. All the female pigeons I've had were pretty timid and would simply run away if they rejected the cock's advances, but I would still monitor things when the courting process begins because if the pigeon tries to chase the dove off she could injure him with her greater size. That being said, I think everything will work out fine if you are careful.

Are you planning to produce any hybrids? They're pretty interesting. I think they'd make a decent indoor pet because they have the smaller size of the dove but with the personality (and quieter vocalizations) of the pigeon. I love ringneck doves but the cooing of the males drives me insane.

Just to update my previous input here are some photos of my Doves, Frillbacks, Fantails, and Silkie Chickens living together, They just exist together, eat next to each other and sometimes if a dove lands too close to another bird they'll push them away but nothing else.
Also helps to have perches at multiple heights for them

Attachments

• dove+chicken.jpg
    dove+chicken.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Dove+Fantail.jpg
    Dove+Fantail.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Dove+Frillback.jpg
    Dove+Frillback.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 40
Just to update my previous input here are some photos of my Doves, Frillbacks, Fantails, and Silkie Chickens living together, They just exist together, eat next to each other and sometimes if a dove lands too close to another bird they'll push them away but nothing else.
Also helps to have perches at multiple heights for them
It's quite beautiful to see your birds of different species cohabiting so peaceably.

Back
Top Bottom