Experience with keeping Doves & Pigeons together?

Tebriel

Hatching
Aug 11, 2020
Hello, looking to see other people's experiences with keeping Ringneck Doves with Pigeons. I have heard some different opinions and concerns with male Pigeons with a female Dove. I have a male Ringneck Dove with a female Birmingham Roller(she is still quite young, so not yet interested in bonding with the dove), and thus far things have been good. I have kept both pigeons and doves in the past, but never together. I've read/heard several success stories where the pair form strong bonds and even produce hybrid offspring(that are sterile). Where this is new territory for me, we have just been monitoring the interactions between the pair and are curious as to what others may suggest/have experienced. Thanks so much!

nchls school

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
Oh wow! The ringnecks did a pretty good job of raising them, eh?
Yes. The ring neck pair were to old to llay but kept mating and building a nest. The hen did eventually lay a single yolkless egg; at which point I gave them the homer eggs. It has been a number of years so I do not remember the variety but the homing pigeons had shorter bill than other breeds; but not extremely short like owl pigeons.

Peskypigeon

Chirping
Sep 20, 2020
Hello, looking to see other people's experiences with keeping Ringneck Doves with Pigeons. I have heard some different opinions and concerns with male Pigeons with a female Dove. I have a male Ringneck Dove with a female Birmingham Roller(she is still quite young, so not yet interested in bonding with the dove), and thus far things have been good. I have kept both pigeons and doves in the past, but never together. I've read/heard several success stories where the pair form strong bonds and even produce hybrid offspring(that are sterile). Where this is new territory for me, we have just been monitoring the interactions between the pair and are curious as to what others may suggest/have experienced. Thanks so much!
It depends on the birds. My little ringneck Drury is fiesty, and I briefly had a male roller who wanted to mate with him, but Drury was having none of it (just flirting and only being swiped at). No attacking, but I never really tested them directly together. My fantail baby Hates him, and they do try to go after each other (But she’s mated to me). Seeing as your roller is more his size, they should be fine as long as they don’t show aggression.

Top Bottom