TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hello!

I'm back with more questions about doves! 🤭 If anyone isn't familiar with my dove encounter, last year a dove just magically showed up in my chicken coop. Long story short, she's been with us since!

I noticed that she was trying to "woo" my chickens.. (following them & bowing/cooing) so I thought she needed a friend! I got her one a few months later. They were the best of friends at first.. until they started to fight! Please note that I'm not a dove expert. The fighting could have been, well.. other things. 😳 BUT, they never made a nest, never laid eggs & I never witnessed THE ACT. They stood on top of one another, "punched" each other with their beaks & chased each other wildly around the aviary.. they even had their own "territories".

Now I know what you're thinking, "how can this lady not see that she had two males?!" ...I think I did. 😅 Like I said, I'm no dove expert, but the man that sold me the second dove was SO SURE that it was a female. 🤷🏼‍♀️

So here we are, my second dove has passed (due to unknown reasons) & I'm thinking my first dove needs a new friend. "She" is back to chasing the chickens & trying to "woo" them.

What would you do in this situation? Should I have my first dove sexed & go from there? Should I buy a group? Should I bring my dove indoors to live with me instead? 😅 (my husband says NO!)

Thank you for sticking around for my long story, any advice is highly appreciated.

(The attached pictures are of my first dove, Pumpkin)

Attachments

• 20230513_190342.jpg
    20230513_190342.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230308_174228.jpg
    20230308_174228.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220728_103253.jpg
    20220728_103253.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 8
Sounds like you have a male dove. I would try to locate a female for him.

That constant fighting you described was definitely male-on-male violence.
Thank you for the reply!

I thought that's what was going on, but I wanted to make sure that my Pumpkin wasn't a bully for no reason! 😅 ...mostly so I could prevent more fighting if I got another.

Back
Top Bottom