Questions about Java doves?

Update The doves are doing great

Cage:
They are still in the cage we got them in. We are looking to get a cage that's a little longer and maybe a little taller. The cage they are currently in is 24 inches long 14 inches wide and 20 inches high which I think is okay for now but due to their age I want to spoil them with a larger space

Food and water: They have two hanging dishes one for food and one for water it works great cause one is hung beneath each small access hatch for easy filling. They get a little less than 1/4 of a cup of Kaytee Supreme Dove food a day plus lots of healthy fruits and veggies cut up into small pieces

Birdbath: They have a decent size pan that can fit both of them and has water that goes just below their bellies I see Jack using it a lot more than Jill

Nest: we didn't know what to do with their old ceramic bowl but when Jill tried to use the hanging food dish as a nest I decided to put it in the bottom of the cage with some shredded straw they seem to be pleased with my decision

Enrichment and toys: They also have a little mirror and a hanging bird toy I plan to make some more Diy bird toys because despite being told they don't play with toys Jack really seems to enjoy playing with them

Last edited:
Good to hear!

What kind of DIY toys do you give them? My pigeons get bored of everything I give them so quickly. One thing they do like is fishing bobbers, they’re light enough to carry around and they seem to like dropping them and picking them up over and over.

they really like mirrors and shiny things pretty much anything they can see their reflection in but I'm still experimenting with different ideas

Back
Top Bottom