Is my dove a male or female?

GoldenBlossoms

Songster
May 30, 2022
My dove started doing this just a few days ago. It's also the only time they have every let me pet them, is this a male or female behavior? And is she/he ok??

My Dove

I have had them for almost a year now. Also idk why they picked the messy bookcase lol

I also thought something was wrong when I first saw my pigeons doing that 😅
Good to know x3 also any idea the gender? I named her Dutchess in the hopes she is a female xD but I don't actually know what they are lol

That video strikes me as more submissive hen-like behavior but you could just have a calm male.

What sounds does it make? The males bow and coo - constantly.

Doves can be so hard to sex. That does seem more like a female behavior but I have seen my males do it too. Is this your only dove? You can offer a small basket or box as a nest, and you may get eggs. That's the only way to know for sure, unless you have a pair, and see mating. Or if you have two males, and they start fighting.

Doves can be so hard to sex. That does seem more like a female behavior but I have seen my males do it too. Is this your only dove? You can offer a small basket or box as a nest, and you may get eggs. That's the only way to know for sure, unless you have a pair, and see mating. Or if you have two males, and they start fighting.
Yah they are my only dove but I don't want to really encourage eggs either lol I get enough eggs to deal with from my chickens xD so I guess I'll just keep hoping they are a female and maybe get a DNA test one day for her lol thanks for the info though. Means a lot to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom