Diamond Dove illness

solidstate

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
Grant County WA
Good morning everyone. I have two pairs of Diamond doves and one of the hens has been having frequent stools, with yellow liquid. The solid part seems normal.

She is also tail bobbing mildly when she breathes.

I have a 4-in-1 medication coming, my research seems to suggest it could be paratyphoid, or something.

The other doves are all normal, sleek and healthy. They’re eating a finch mix, and get a sprinkle of qwiko egg food every few days. They get millet sprays for enrichment and forage. The birds were all kept in my indoor aviary, but I recently split them into cages in pairs to let them pair off with less drama.

In the meantime, what I can give her to support her health and comfort?

I’ve got safeguard 10% liquid, probios, nutridrench, corid, toltrazuril, and vitamins for their water.

I’m giving the probios and nutridrench in their water twice a week.

3BB626D7-A9E7-42EA-BB5E-32F3B0ACD4E7.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi I want to tell you about what I do to keep my diamond doves healthy and happy, to stop any health problems. I have a big aviary with about 10 pairs of diamond doves. They get a mix of 7 different types of seed along with plenty of millet that is growing in the aviary. I give them plenty of space to dust bath and that seems to keep them healthy with good feathers. I also have half my aviary shaded with the other half in the sun with lots of tropical plants for them to hide in. I find the then being able to sunbath first if all looks adorable, but secondly is super good for them. They get all the vitamins they need from doing these two things and it keeps them healthy. It might be good to let them dust bath and give them a few hours of direct sun light with shaded places if you don't already do that.

Also you have very pretty diamond doves. They are sooo cute. My diamond doves are breeding and these are two babies that just started fledgling.View attachment 3475707View attachment 3475708
Adorable! I love those little tails!

My aviary is indoors, opposite a window that gets a few hours of good daylight. I recently added a bunch of sage silk plants so that is will have a bunch of places to hide when we reintroduce them to the aviary. I’m thinking of using wood chips as a substrate when I add them back as well.

Dust bathing is a good idea, I’ll have to put something in for them. Is there a specific type of sand/dust you use?

Adorable! I love those little tails!

My aviary is indoors, opposite a window that gets a few hours of good daylight. I recently added a bunch of sage silk plants so that is will have a bunch of places to hide when we reintroduce them to the aviary. I’m thinking of using wood chips as a substrate when I add them back as well.

Dust bathing is a good idea, I’ll have to put something in for them. Is there a specific type of sand/dust you use?
I actually look for kid safe sand that can be mixed with ash and maybe a little bit of vitamin powder or medicated poultry sand works as well. Or you can use some dried out dirt and mix it with ash. This will help them in a lot of ways, but like anything to much of a good thing can become bad. I provided it at all times and in an aviary such as mine they use it when they want, but they tend to bath in my little minnow pond with my zebra finches.

I actually look for kid safe sand that can be mixed with ash and maybe a little bit of vitamin powder or medicated poultry sand works as well. Or you can use some dried out dirt and mix it with ash. This will help them in a lot of ways, but like anything to much of a good thing can become bad. I provided it at all times and in an aviary such as mine they use it when they want, but they tend to bath in my little minnow pond with my zebra finches.
Okay, awesome, thank you. I’ll look into some safe sand options.

After 36hrs on the 4-in-1 meds my sick dove is looking a lot better. Her stools are much closer to normal now. I’ll keep her on the medication for the recommended course, but I think she’s doing better!

Okay, awesome, thank you. I’ll look into some safe sand options.

After 36hrs on the 4-in-1 meds my sick dove is looking a lot better. Her stools are much closer to normal now. I’ll keep her on the medication for the recommended course, but I think she’s doing better!
Great to hear she's doing better. Dust bathing is good for poultry and others birds and I'm sure you're going to see some improvement in there feathers even though there feathers are very beautiful already.

Back
Top Bottom