experienced people - PLEASE HELP , something wrong with my 4 weeks old chick!

JanO!
Thank you for understanding. I did give him electrolites with honey. I mean I dipped him in it for a while 3 times a day. I also was wandering about Cocci, because he stands a;; ruffled up for whole day. I remembered couple days ago I gave them a chunk of compost with worms on it - and he was very "active" digging it - so he might got too much and might have gotten cocci. So to make sure I do bot - electrolites and corid.
Yes BTW - other chicks did not want to drink Pedialite, so I gave them some water with ACV

I did went ahead and gave him some Corid in water. He drank some. He ate a little oatmeal in yoghurt and even some boiled egg ( I had to distract other birds with the boiled egg treat, so he can be left alone to eat his oat-yoghurt treat. So he walked around somewhat and pecked around. Still holding on!! Thank to those who reads and replies. You support helped a lot.
I also dipped his beak in Pedialite with honey and gave him a little Karo as some of you recomended.

I know it is really expensive ! It has a very long shelf life however , so keep it on hand for any future need! I always thought local chicken folk should set up a co-op where we share this type of stuff. So many wormers, etc are huge bottles and you need so little! Share and share alike!

Sugar can give diarrhea - so not too much of that! Pedialite is great! People give sugar to give an energy boost so they will start eating.

Hoping for great improvement in the morning!
fl.gif

Hi!
Just wanted to update on my little guy's progress. He is much better today. Even yesterday at night he started eating the crumbs, and drinking a lot. I put one waterer with Corid, another one with Pediolyte for everybody. He was even a little playful today ,perched a bit and played "tag", running away from other chick trying to get his stuff he had in his mouth. He was also scratching around quite a bit. His stool seems to be normalizing.
So ,I just want to say thank you for ALL YOUR HELP !! Your advices were precious, although I am not stil sure what was it - got chilled too much or Cocci. Interesting how many days does the complete recovery takes if it WAS Cocci?
I also thought about "inside" parasites who made their way into his inner digestive tract. I will watch him and make sure he gets complete recovery.
Thanks to ALL OF YOU again!

Hi!
Just wanted to update on my little guy's progress. He is much better today. Even yesterday at night he started eating the crumbs, and drinking a lot. I put one waterer with Corid, another one with Pediolyte for everybody. He was even a little playful today ,perched a bit and played "tag", running away from other chick trying to get his stuff he had in his mouth. He was also scratching around quite a bit. His stool seems to be normalizing.
So ,I just want to say thank you for ALL YOUR HELP !! Your advices were precious, although I am not stil sure what was it - got chilled too much or Cocci. Interesting how many days does the complete recovery takes if it WAS Cocci?
I also thought about "inside" parasites who made their way into his inner digestive tract. I will watch him and make sure he gets complete recovery.
Thanks to ALL OF YOU again!

So glad to hear!!!
wee.gif
Corrid will not hurt them, so it was a great move on your part! I would complete the full course (7 days?) even if it looks like the chick is perfectly fine. You do not want a relapse. Congrats on the great progress!

Glad hes doing better!! I wouldn't give them a choice between water with corid, either that is only water or none at all as it is assumed they drink X amount per day to get correct dose of the drug for their size, if they drink a sip or half then they could create resistance. Just a thought. I've got my 5wo BOs out with my 2wo GSLs and RIRs. My mellow RIR is already curled up sleeping in my lap after 15 min. Funny to watch the others hitting a brick wall in energy too lol

Island Chick,
that is a good advice - I put only water with Corid today.
Fisherman's wife,
, I will do exactly that - will have 7 days of Corid.
The maran is doing very good, he gets even a little "bossy" sometimes, it means his "real" personality is returning
thumbsup.gif

Sounds happy!

I like to put my chicks out as much as possible too.
At about 2 weeks I really want to get them feeling comfortable going out for an hour on a nice day.
I think it is healthy for them. At 4 weeks they usually move outside to the outdoor brooder.
Our outdoor brooder is like a big dog house with a heat lamp inside a fully inclosed coop of it's own..
They stay inside the brooder for about 2 days. I open the door each morning inviting them out.
I place water and food bowls inside the brooder during the transition so they have food and water during the first days..

On the 3rd day the chicks are running around inside the enclosure. I have a nice old hen that stays in the brooder. Like their mom.
But some chicks are reluctant to venture out into the sun with their friends. They sit in the brooder looking out..

It seems like some individuals get traumatized going out. I've seen a few go into a trance, like they are freaked out.

I guess everyone's different, and chickens may be the same way.
Some like adventure and some cherish quiet home life.

You did a good job!

Spicy

Thank you, Spicy!
Yes,you described it exactly right - going into trans. He was so boistorous and brave - I thought he will be jumping for joy - but it scared him quite a bit. He looks now "wiser" like he experienced a war zone or something
roll.png

I still think he was somewhat sick as he had diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom