Experiment Gone Wrong

Well, after all her wounds healed and itvhad thawed we decided to let her oyt in the run while I cleaned out the winter's deep litter. In that 2 hours my RIR torn her wing open again, despute having been in a cage in the run the whole time she healed. It was then that I realized that she was never going to be accepted into the flock, and her quality of life wasn't great living in a dog cage. After alot of talking to our kids we decided it was her time to go.. We culled her, plycjed her, and cleaned the carcass. Other than the fresh wound she was in amazing shape. We ended up eating everything but the wing with the fresh wound. After dressing she weighed 8.5 lbs, and was wonderful for Sunday supper. Thanks again to everyone. After eating her, my kids are now on board with raising out own meat, so it was a major win!

I'm so proud of you! I know how difficult that is! You made a difficult decision, ended her pain, made your flock happier, fed your kids, and taught them more about the circle of life and where your meat comes from. I'm very sorry for your loss, it sucks when it's not one you wanted to have to eat, but at least it was a great learning experience.

This is a good thread for me to see. I know it's a bit old, but it's nice to hear from the voice of experience here. I want to be ready if anything goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom