Experiment Trying To Hatch More Hens

Pics

BroodyCluck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Cleveland, Texas
Because who needs roosters, poor creatures. If they do, I'll give them some.
Anyhow, I have read more than one article about hatching chicken eggs that have been refrigerated will produce more hens. The theory behind it is supposedly a male egg will not as likely survive if the egg gets too cold.
This brings to mind a few years ago in the dead of winter I had neglected collecting eggs. Then i had a small bantom hen get into the nest and start sitting on eggs. I felt that it would be hopeless but a couple of other chickens got next to her and I figured they were just trying to stay warm. I never saw chickens go broody in February like that. But I just left her alone believing it was rediculous. During the day the other chickens would get out of the nest and leave her alone. But at night they would stay in the nest. I just ignored it intending to handle it some other time. Then one morning I saw she had biddies. 11 hatched. There were some eggs that didnt hatch too all in that nest.Later I would learn that they were 9 hens 2 roosters.
So that makes me think there could be something to the articles I read.
Is there any of you that's ever tried this?
Wednesday I started the incubator with 12 eggs that had been in the refrigerator to experiment.

This is very interesting! I've heard this theory before but explained with people (men that work in refrigeration all seem to have daughters). I have 3 duck
This is very interesting! I've heard this theory before but explained with people (men that work in refrigeration all seem to have daughters). I have 3 duck eggs in incubator that had all spend a day or 2 in fridge so I'll keep tabs on them.
Lol all daughters! Keep me posted on what happens with the eggs. I always thought that once an egg goes into the fridge it would never hatch but now I'm seeing a lot of articles some people keep eggs in the fridge for up to 2 weeks to preserve them and they are more likely to go bad not refrigerating them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom