experimenting with treats

GoodEgg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
NW Florida
I couldn't find the old thread we all posted on, so I thought I'd make a new one to say that I finally tried the yogurt tonight. LOL, I never would have thought chicks would love yogurt so much! One BR stuck her beak in and I think she was sucking it up like through a straw. They slung it everywhere, and ate off the dish, ground, themselves, each other, and ME. (They are gentler cleaning off yogurt than they usually are when pecking at something they think needs removing, I was glad for that!)

I also bought a small head of a very green lettuce (not sure what kind, but not iceberg) to hang up for them tomorrow as suggested. Not sure how I'm going to do that, exactly, but I'll figure out something. And a big box of raisins I needed for cooking anyway. I also want to try cooked spaghetti, as so many have suggested. I will probably let them try grapes too. (Hehe, I finally got groceries, so we will all be eating well!)

Yesterday it was blueberries I had left over. The first time I fed them sliced and they weren't impressed, but yesterday I tossed them in whole and they really went after them. After breaking into them, they would try to eat a whole one themselves if they could keep it long enough. Lots of blue poo though!

I think the yogurt is right up there with mashed egg yolks and whole oats. They are also starting to really chase bugs, but so far I haven't brought them any. Cooked rice is also a favorite.

They are less impressed with frozen veggies, strawberries, carrots, tomatoes, and apples. The blueberries weren't a really big hit the first time though, so we'll keep trying.

These birds eat better than I do.
tongue.png

trish

I often give the girls a plate of yoghurt after they’re up on the roost for the night. I hold the plate underneath, going back and forth down the row so everyone can get a share.

The other day I invited a friend who was visiting to do this saying, “It’s so fun the way they scarf it up!” After about 20 seconds he handed me the plate. “No thanks! They’re making such a mess they’re getting yoghurt all over my shirt! Ugh!”

Didn’t realize what a slob I’d become…I pay no attention to the flying yoghurt.
tongue.png

Whole wheat spaghetti is a chase game treat. They steal it, run away, drop, chase, runaway again and gulp. It great for just the entertainment value. Mine love grapes, and plums, flaxseed, oatmeal, pink flowers, and cantalope seeds. Grapes and cantalope seeds have them jumping up and snatching it out of my hand. Yummm

Japanese beetles... I'm growing veggies and the pesky things love my beans. They have a habit of "falling" to fly when disturbed... take a jar with water and a little bit of olive or vegetable oil... hold it just under the chewing pest and just tap them. They will mostly just drop into the mix. The oil is probably good for the chickens and the stupid beetle can't fly. fill up the jar with til your heart's content and dump it out for your breakfast providing pets.

I do the same thing with the Japanese bettles. I use a coffee can lid tap the plant their on and they all fall in the can. I put the lid on and go to the next plant. I don't use the oil tho. I just hand feed them to the chickens. They think they are M&M's with legs. I collect approx 100 a day easy. They love them and it helps get rid of them.

Does anyone know if a chicken will eat pineapple? Someone gave me one that was a little too "old" so I am going to bust it up and toss it in the run in the morning.

Field corn is a little soft here still. I "borrowed" a couple ears for the field across the road and threw it in with the birds. 3 ears, 10 bird, 5 minutes, no corn left ---- Priceless

Back
Top Bottom