1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

expiration dates

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MTchick, Jun 23, 2007.

1. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I gave myself a little cut today on the garden fence- nothing serious at all. I was putting some antibiotic ointment on the scratch after I washed it off and randomly I thought... I wonder if this stuff expires?

Yes, it did. The tube crimp says: "Expires 1/2001." Perhaps I ought to have thought to look at it... hmmm... SIX years ago.

Do you think it actually doesn't work anymore? Am I smearing myself with useless goo?

Either way, it made me laugh. Given that expiration date, I think that ointment has lived in a medicine cabinet in a minimum of 7 states as well as 3 separate countries. I think I'll buy a new tube this weekend, just in case.

-MTchick

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have no idea what happens when it expires. I just looked at some tubes lying in the medicine cabinet and expirations dates are as follows: 1982, 1992, 1994, 1999, 2003... Geez, that first one is before I was born.. and in a metal tube. Looks like nobody uses these things here. Good ol soap and water :p

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, maybe it's time to spring for a new tube! [​IMG]

4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Uh, I have in my medicine chest a bottle of Tincture of Merthiolate my mom bought God only knows when. She died in 1976; the price on the bottle is 26 cents. I am still using it, and it seems to still work.

Also, I have a box of Hershey's Cocoa she bought back in the 1930's. It has the NRA sticker still on it. I used it about a year ago, and the cake came out fine.

I think it depends upon the product and how it has been stored.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by