1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Expired blu-kote.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quail 247, Oct 16, 2012.

1. quail 247

quail 247 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    My neighbor had a raccoon scalp one of his chickens last night, it's just an open, bloody wound, I have blue-kote that i was going to give him so he can apply it to help stop infection, but it expired in feb. 2012, is it still okay to use?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I don't really know the answer to your question but I though I would say that I had some for awhile and I needed to use it and when I put it on the chicken it came about brown colored. I was thinking that it was too old and that's why it changed colors so I went and bought some more. It did dye the chickens feathers brown and faded to yellow before finally washing out but it never did bother her or cause problems. I don't think it was as affective in keeping the other chickens from noticing it as the blue color would but as you aren't having that problem it doesn't matter.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've heard some pharmacy people say that many medicines don't really have and expiration date, they're just forced by the government to put that on all packages. I can't see how it can hurt anything if it's out of date. Try it and see. If it's brown well that wouldn't look good but it might still work.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would use any expired topical medication as long as it was the right color and had been stored properly.

5. smochin cochin

smochin cochin New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Menomonie,WI
    Blue-Kote is fine to use, as you have seen or heard over time it will change color. I use Red-Kote and Blue-Kote together red first then the blue.
    Red-Kote keeps scaring in check but make sure you over spray with Blue-Kote or you will have a target on your injured chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by