Explain this to me!

wwdubose

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2013
East Texas
Finished up the framing on my coop last night and was curious as to the actual meaning of POP door. I though it might be an abbreviation, but it was not listed on the abbreviations thread. Did extensive search in this forum and found one thread where the question was asked, but no answer was given. Also googled it and found no mention of the meaning or the origin of the word, other than it referring to a chicken door. Was just curious as to why everybody on the forum uses the term when referring to the chicken door. Why not just call it a chicken door?
hmm.png

Last edited:
I wondered this myself...the reason I made up is the chickens can pop their head out haha I have yet to get a real answer either. I am told I am too curious......some things are just the way they are I guess.

Why is it called a pop door? In 1899 a group of farmers bought the rights to the patent for a guillotine style poultry door and founded the "Poultry Opening Products Company". Selling this type of door through mail order catalogs and roadside billboards. Business was good but they found that as their patent expired and competition began they made less money on coop parts and more money selling flavored syrup to be added to carbonated water (later called called "soda pop") but while the original company dissolved, the name for their patented door stuck. To this day, we refer to the small openings in chicken coops as "pop doors".

Why is it called a pop door? In 1899 a group of farmers bought the rights to the patent for a guillotine style poultry door and founded the "Poultry Opening Products Company". Selling this type of door through mail order catalogs and roadside billboards. Business was good but they found that as their patent expired and competition began they made less money on coop parts and more money selling flavored syrup to be added to carbonated water (later called called "soda pop") but while the original company dissolved, the name for their patented door stuck. To this day, we refer to the small openings in chicken coops as "pop doors".
Now that's a response! Great information! Either you are a really good BSer or a Chicken Guru! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with guru and a thumbs up! Thanks!

Interesting!! Do you have a source or link for this? I have never heard this before.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom