Explain to me what fodder is?

It is a generic term for any sprouted grains that you feed to livestock. I built a fodder tower last year to supplement my chickens feed over the winter for when they can't get out and forage around the yard. I am using winter barley as it seems to have the highest sprouting percentage and they really tear it up!!
Fodder Tower 1.jpeg

It is a generic term for any sprouted grains that you feed to livestock. I built a fodder tower last year to supplement my chickens feed over the winter for when they can't get out and forage around the yard. I am using winter barley as it seems to have the highest sprouting percentage and they really tear it up!!View attachment 2938295
@rickhoyt
Where do you get your winter barley? I have been having trouble finding grain that is not extremely expensive. Any tips you have for successful growth? Your setup looks amazing!

@rickhoyt
Where do you get your winter barley? I have been having trouble finding grain that is not extremely expensive. Any tips you have for successful growth? Your setup looks amazing!
I got the grain from a farmer friend of mine who plants it. There are places on-line too, but the shipping cost is more than the grain. Green Cover seems like a good one (greencoverseed.com). As far as tips, it is pretty easy to grow. We soak the grain for 12 hrs and then put in the bin. It will start to sprout in a couple days. We start a new batch every three days. I have a room set up where I start my garden sets and keep it about 73. Lightly water them daily and watch them grow!!

Back
Top Bottom