Explaining Chicken Math

MMmmmm...goat milk, goat cheese, goat butter!
lau.gif
Go ahead, take the plunge!
I do have a pig coming in 2 weeks......and I have already purchased my 2 California Bucks to breed with my New Zealand/California Does!!!!!

So yes.....it get's worse!!!!!

pop.gif

Joe

My old neighbor had a goat and it drove me NUTS!!!!!!! Although I must say that it may not have made as much noise if she ever let it out of its 10X10 dog kennel or cleaned up after it or fed it properly
sad.png

First I have read all these replies up to this point and am chuckling away for the second day in a row... each so funny and true!!
But second... i am REALLY worried now because i also see many ppl have gone from chickens..... to GOATS.
I have wanted mini goats for years but resisted the urge . ...Now i am super worried i will give in ..Seems like a trend here.Chicken math brings on goat math ???NONO!!! SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!

My goats give me fiber.... I only get something from them every 6 months, so this eggs each day thing is kinda gratifying!!!

My co-worker calls it Chicken Fever. I wanted 3 but decided to buy 5 because I figured at least 2 wouldn't live. Then saw shipping was cut in half if I bought six or more....Save money....Good thing, right?!!! I've had the chicks for 5 weeks and all 6 are doing well. Now I'm trolling chicken hatcheries and trying to control the disease! LOL!

First I have read all these replies up to this point and am chuckling away for the second day in a row... each so funny and true!!
But second... i am REALLY worried now because i also see many ppl have gone from chickens..... to GOATS.
I have wanted mini goats for years but resisted the urge . ...Now i am super worried i will give in ..Seems like a trend here.Chicken math brings on goat math ???NONO!!! SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!
Goats are great!!!! I have 8. Three of them are for sale though. :( Hate to say goodbye to the kids but yeah.

I am guilty of adding goats. I went to buy one just to butcher in the fall but that turned into two when he offered up a small female real cheap. They became favorites of my two daughters ages 3 and 2 so now they have a permanent residence here. We will most likely sell kids, or keep them, goat math works just like chicken math huh? At least it is at a slower pace

My DH had to laugh. I have the same kind of math here. Just a couple of chicks to replace losses. We had six to begin with. Now we have 31 chicks, 5 geese and 4 call ducks. LOL!! I'm sure this is some kind of algebra.

Okay, I don't even have any yet and chicken math is already taking over my brain.

Several months ago I wanted to start breeding our lop rabbits but our girl is really rather old and not fit to breed. So first I wanted a girl bunny to breed lops. Beau says OK. I think that's where it all went wrong.
One dwarf lop turned into wanting four palomino meat rabbits. But if we were getting four it'd actually be a little cheaper per lb of meat rabbit to raise 8 (7 girls one boy) right?
Then beau said he'd rather have something more practical like chickens. I mentioned it to my sister and asked about quieter breeds she says Muscovys are the only quiet fowl around.
So we plan a flock of 5 muscovy ducks and plan to buy a house.

Then we come back to the conclusion that chickens are more practical for eggs than ducks. Now we're looking into getting two Orpington hens for egg laying too.

So a few months ago the rule was no more animals (we have a 8mo puppy we're still working with!). Now we're looking at 15 as soon as we can move.

I'm working on a goat, too...
hide.gif
One of the dwarf dairy goats.... So far it's still a no but if we get the place we want the garage is seperated into two halves and the back half is so very barn-like with it's own door into the house and back yard...

lol I started with 3, then got 4 more, then because one was sick, I got 1 extra that gave me 8. So then I rehomed 1. That gave me 7 birds.

Somewhere in between I was given 5 older hens that would not lay, so i gave them to a friend because I was getting too many birds!

Then i saw a blue australorp and I had to have one! So the person that has the blues said because they were in demand and he had too man RIR, he said in order to get the blue I had to take 2 reds. So I came home with 3 birds. So now Im up to 10.

Then I managed to rehome 1 RIR but gained a roo as a rescue. Still at 10 at that point.

So I was very lucky and rehomed the second RIR and the roo so then i was down to 8 birds.

But then I was worried that Stumpy would get lonely with the other birds being able to play and roost normal, so i got 2 bantam cochins so that brought me to 10. But then i fell in love with silkies so i had to ahve one! So now I have 11 birds.

I think Im happy now though, Im not getting ANY MORE!!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom