Explaining Chicken Math

this is to annewandering, who wrote "...you have to buy 15 to get 1." c'mon, anne, there's plenty of hatcheries out there that require a minimum
order of 25, not 15. order from the 25 minimum hatcheries. this is not your fault. you are the victim here. chicken math strikes again.
My gosh you are right! What could I have been thinking? Of course 25 will never work out because theres always a few others that dont fit in the 25 while you are at it. And then theres the free one which needs a friend.

My gosh you are right! What could I have been thinking? Of course 25 will never work out because theres always a few others that dont fit in the 25 while you are at it. And then theres the free one which needs a friend.
If you order from Murray McMurray they will do the math for you. Toss in something random for your own benefit.

If you order from Murray McMurray they will do the math for you. Toss in something random for your own benefit.
They are enablers for sure! Never wanted a buff cochin but that is what they sent and it is so cute! Quite different from the other cochins in size which surprised me! Of course now I need more of those!

Last edited:
Well I ordered 15 more chicks. Now 10 are meat chicks so dont have to count them! Cant count the white male cochin because he is a replacement so I am getting four chicks! And then there is the buff cochin playmate for the buff freebie I got last time and that was not my choosing so that doesnt count does it? And the new freebie wont count either so now I just ordered 3 new ones!

I don't want to barge in on your privacy , but are from Ligonier, Indiana? I am from Fort Wayne and my Sister-in-law is newly moved to near Tri-Lakes area and is looking to set up her own chicken keeping and would love to have some one close to get advice from.
Mine will, because next year, I am letting the hens sit, hatch, and raise their own chicks. I have planned 5 sq. ft. per chick to allow the breeding pens to also be used for grow out pens. plus 4 q. ft. for mama hen. Plan on, letting each hen hatch 7 eggs each. (7x5)=(1x4)=39 sq. ft. So I need 3 pens 4x10 ft. in area. I can raise the coop over the pen a bit and count the area underneath the 4x4 coop as run area. By the time they leave the spacious coop, they will be old enough to navigate back up a shallow ramp to the coop at night.
I need 2 sq. ft. per chick and 4 sq. ft. per mama hen inside the coop. (7x2)+(1x4)= 18. Needing a 4 ft. width on my coop, I can go for 4x4 or 4x5, depending on how the pens fit in my poultry area. So the yard only has to extend 5-6 ft. beyond the coop.
I've looked at a lot of plans and the space I have available. Combining the breeding pens and grow-out pens seems to be the best solution in the least amount of space. Plus, less moving birds from place to place. I can do 2 sittings in each breeding coop of 7 chicks each. Plus I have a nesting box in the main coop. That is 8 sittings x 7 chicks each = 56 chicks for the year for the flock. That is more than enough for my needs. After breeding season is over, the set-ups will be used for bachelor quarters for the cocks and holding pens to condition show birds.
Best,
Karen

I can care for them. I was intending to start slow. I think things will be tight, but I live on a 72 acre farm and between my hens free ranging and a chicken tractor I think I'll be ok.

I want the same kind. I havent heard of anyone around here having them but will be keeping an eye out. :D Otherwise its 15 more chicks!!!
I FINALLY got some this weekend!!! 1 white hen and 1 black hen along with 1 white silkie hen, 1 yellow silkie hen, and a splash rooster and a frizzle baby! Omg they're all absolutely gorgeous!!!

Back
Top Bottom