Explanation on where the 'gardening is illegal' rumor came from

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So this post is not political. I will try to be as careful as I can.

My objective is only to explain where the rumor of 'gardening becoming illegal' came from. I remember hearing about this early on and I watch many sources of news, so I am probably one of the few people that can explain it clearly, because I was watching much of this unfold.

Its very possible that the question about if getting chicks was illegal came as part of the 'gardening is illegal' issues. If 'gardening is illegal' its possible those areas decided, well aren't mailing chicks part of gardening too, and then stopped them.

When Covid19 started off, Vermont and Michigan jumped in right away to make gardening illegal. They were the first ones to do it. This was unfortunately not rumors. It was fact. It was also done by the state governments and their governments, and NOT federal. This was also why the Michigan people got so riled up that they got armed and stormed into a government legislature session (it was not a primary factor, but part of some of the underlying issues.) I am not justifying this and not taking sides. I only want to explain where these rumors came from.

Here is one source talking about it. Also see that I tried to use a non-political source (Forbes is about finance and money);

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksi...pplies-calls-them-not-necessary/#4165e4c35f80

https://www.today.com/home/big-box-...et-stop-selling-nonessentials-vermont-t177397

(See Vermont, on second source)

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/walmart-target-costco-stop-selling

Now after Vermont and Michigan did this, other places were jumping on this also but didn't get noticed, because this was right when the lock downs started. And this means that many places only noticed Vermont and Michigan doing this.

(If you live in these types of states I would not be vocable about your home self sufficiency activities any more for awhile.)

California was doing all kinds of crazy stuff during this time, but didn't do this (that I know of)...but they did other things that were considered very radical also.

http://www.iceagefarmer.com/2020/04/04/states-ban-sales-of-seeds-meat-packers-closed-food-shutdown/

There were also back door methods of doing it, like states that had HUGE lock downs would not get noticed but where doing much the same thing.

So I hope this helps.

I tried to not be political. I left out several things I could have said to do so unfortunately.

But I would suggest censorship makes this kind of thing happen more because people who are doing bad don't get censored. Only people trying to do good end up getting censored. So it creates an environment where only one side is heard.

So this post is not political. I will try to be as careful as I can.

My objective is only to explain where the rumor of 'gardening becoming illegal' came from. I remember hearing about this early on and I watch many sources of news, so I am probably one of the few people that can explain it clearly, because I was watching much of this unfold.

Its very possible that the question about if getting chicks was illegal came as part of the 'gardening is illegal' issues. If 'gardening is illegal' its possible those areas decided, well aren't mailing chicks part of gardening too, and then stopped them.

When Covid19 started off, Vermont and Michigan jumped in right away to make gardening illegal. They were the first ones to do it. This was unfortunately not rumors. It was fact. It was also done by the state governments and their governments, and NOT federal. This was also why the Michigan people got so riled up that they got armed and stormed into a government legislature session (it was not a primary factor, but part of some of the underlying issues.) I am not justifying this and not taking sides. I only want to explain where these rumors came from.

Here is one source talking about it. Also see that I tried to use a non-political source (Forbes is about finance and money);

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksi...pplies-calls-them-not-necessary/#4165e4c35f80

https://www.today.com/home/big-box-...et-stop-selling-nonessentials-vermont-t177397

(See Vermont, on second source)

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/walmart-target-costco-stop-selling

Now after Vermont and Michigan did this, other places were jumping on this also but didn't get noticed, because this was right when the lock downs started. And this means that many places only noticed Vermont and Michigan doing this.

(If you live in these types of states I would not be vocable about your home self sufficiency activities any more for awhile.)

California was doing all kinds of crazy stuff during this time, but didn't do this (that I know of)...but they did other things that were considered very radical also.

http://www.iceagefarmer.com/2020/04/04/states-ban-sales-of-seeds-meat-packers-closed-food-shutdown/

There were also back door methods of doing it, like states that had HUGE lock downs would not get noticed but where doing much the same thing.

So I hope this helps.

I tried to not be political. I left out several things I could have said to do so unfortunately.

But I would suggest censorship makes this kind of thing happen more because people who are doing bad don't get censored. Only people trying to do good end up getting censored. So it creates an environment where only one side is heard.
Huh. I had no idea. And I thought I was doing a good job following this stuff!

I'm in CA, and nothing like that happened here, actually, which is surprising because this state is crazy. But nothing was banned from being sold here. You could buy anything. My hubby works at Lowe's, and his store reported their highest ever sales in the paint department. Paint? Essential? I don't think so.

And I should point out that hubby DID get COVID from work... Maybe CA should have done more banning - lol!

I can kind of see the banning sale of non-essential items, but - good grief - how is gardening non-essential? And if you're gonna ban things on the grounds that they're non-essential, then at least do it consistently. Oh my goodness...

Last edited:
I think the term gardening is illegal is a misnomer. There were no regulations stating you couldn’t garden. For instance many gardeners harvest and secure their own seeds. Just as many compost their own soil. Not being able to buy supplies does not make something illegal. States were taking action to stop the spread or flatten the curve. While we( and by we I mean society) may disagree about what is necessary. I think to use the term “making gardening illegal” is inflammatory.

MI was earning a lot of eye rolls because while gardening supplies and seeds weren't considered essential, lottery tickets were. The media grabbed that and ran with it.

Many states weren't quite so unreasonable. In WA, nurseries were considered essential business and allowed to open and sell everything, even if the majority of what they carried were inedible flowers, trees, etc. instead of vegetable starts.

We saw oddities in what I would think of as essential as well.

While seeds, gardening and home repair/maintenance may not seem essential to some to others these things are critical.

Paint sales.....I can see those having gone up. So many people stuck at home without much to do deciding to spend the "found" time being as productive as possible......or staring at the walls deciding they really could use a new coat of paint.

Seeds while legal here were in short supply. Probably for several reasons.

For some reason there seems to be an increase in how many households around us have and are setting off fireworks.......I do NOT consider those essential. I don't even understand why there are fireworks stands here as they are illegal in town.......

Imma go weed my onion rows.......lol.
Maybe even look to see if the squirrel left me any strawberries.....

We saw oddities in what I would think of as essential as well.

While seeds, gardening and home repair/maintenance may not seem essential to some to others these things are critical.

Paint sales.....I can see those having gone up. So many people stuck at home without much to do deciding to spend the "found" time being as productive as possible......or staring at the walls deciding they really could use a new coat of paint.

Seeds while legal here were in short supply. Probably for several reasons.

For some reason there seems to be an increase in how many households around us have and are setting off fireworks.......I do NOT consider those essential. I don't even understand why there are fireworks stands here as they are illegal in town.......

Imma go weed my onion rows.......lol.
Maybe even look to see if the squirrel left me any strawberries.....

We have a big fire in my state right now caused by fireworks.

I don't even understand why people buy them. Its such a huge waste of money. To light off fireworks you literally bleed money. So why do people do it?

Good luck with the squirrel problem. A little bit of modern archery could probably fix that.

Why would gardening be illegal??!!

It is not, and never was.

During Covid-19 lockdowns, some states banned the sale of anything not "essential." Then some of those states defined gardening supplies as not essential. (Seeds, plants, fertilizer, shovels, rototillers, hoses, and on and on--"not essential.")

So buying gardening supplies, in person, in certain states, during a specific few months--that was illegal.

Growing a garden with supplies you already had was fine. Ordering things over the internet was fine.

Back
Top Bottom