Exploded Rotten Egg

debbee1010

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
I had a rotten egg explode under a silkie last night. I want to give her a newly hatched chick, but is it safe. I have throughly cleaned her area and her (by the way, how do you clean that smell off the silkie?). I need your help... hopefully I will soon have enough experience to not have to ask for help all the time.

Last edited:
Maybe do the skunk method? Tomato juice?

I would not give her the chick. Rotten eggs have lots of bacteria, and if there is any leftover, it could harm the chick being that it is young.

I just give them a bath using baby shampoo. Depending on how long your silkies' been broody...you may be able to put a baby under her at night if she's been broody for at least a couple of weeks. I've done it more than once. She took the chicks just like she hatched them herself.

Thank you... I gave the hen a bath and you were right. She took the little chick in the evening, and of course the chick was very happy to have a mom. This morning she was very protective of her new one and she is teaching it to eat. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Makes your eyes water, don't it?
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

You Got That One Right!!!! Wow. Poor Silkie couldn't stand herself. The sad news is that it killed her two, just hatched chicks... The good news is, she now smells good and has one healthy chick. I NEVER want that to happen again, so I will much more watchful.

So sorry but not understanding. Are you saying she hatched two chicks, third egg exploded, you put the "outside" chick in with the other two and she killed the first two that she hatched?

Sorry, very bad explaining on my part.
Silkie was sitting on two silkie eggs.
I had three guinea eggs in incubator.
Two guinea's hatched and I decided to let her raise them (because her eggs were due to hatch and that would give the guinea's a mother).
One hour later an egg exploded and killed the two sweet guinea's and contaminated the other egg.
That evening the other guinea decides to hatch, so I clean hen and her area and give her the newly hatched keet. The sad part is, I really didn't want just one guinea but guess we deal with we what we have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom