Exploding Eggs

They can go bad and the gases need to escape. When an egg blows up it takes the rest with it as the bacteria is nasty. Time to put on a mask and scrub that next box down really well.

They can go bad and the gases need to escape. When an egg blows up it takes the rest with it as the bacteria is nasty. Time to put on a mask and scrub that next box down really well.
This sounds like a real challenge, not only the smell but a protective goose. Do you scrub the eggs? If so, do you just rinse with water, vinegar? Anything that would kill the bacteria would also be bad for the eggs. The goose went back in to sit on the eggs, but she was not interested in a bath to clean her off. I took out the bad hay, and wiped down the eggs with a dry rag. Should I bathe her as well? I don't want her getting sick.

They have a really bad smell, odor . My experience hen rolls them out f the nest. It stinks bad and I even have seen her eating one. Maybe protecting the rest of her nest.

They have a really bad smell, odor . My experience hen rolls them out f the nest. It stinks bad and I even have seen her eating one. Maybe protecting the rest of her nest.
I know she had 15 eggs when she started sitting on the nest and there are only 5 now, and I didn't remove them. She definitely took care of many eggs on her own.

Sometimes a bad one will sneak up on you. Keeping records of when the goose starts sitting and candling will help catch most of the eggs that are bad.

You don't want to scrub eggs, but usually if an egg explodes the bad bacteria will kill the other remaining eggs. If the goose has it all over her she needs cleaned up. All she is doing is cooking the bacteria on the remaining eggs. (which have compromised already from the popper)

Sometimes a bad one will sneak up on you. Keeping records of when the goose starts sitting and candling will help catch most of the eggs that are bad.
You don't want to scrub eggs, but usually if an egg explodes the bad bacteria will kill the other remaining eggs. If the goose has it all over her she needs cleaned up. All she is doing is cooking the bacteria on the remaining eggs. (which have compromised already from the popper)
I hope the bad weather holds off enough today that I can get out there and give her a bath. The gander is so protective of her, I am going to have to lock him up while I bathe her. If she makes even the smallest sound, he comes running to protect her. I sure she will complain loudly about a bath.

I really appreciate your help with this Celtic Oaks. How are your Sebbie hatching eggs coming along? If the timing is right, I still am trying to figure out how to incorporate them into my flock. I really need to get a new pen built this week.

Good luck with the bath. We are almost done running the incubators! Have less than 12 eggs left to go and call it complete for this year. Now focused on fencing and working new areas for them to graze.

Think I will take the just feathering youngsters to the front newly fenced area and do pictures today.

Hope you can get rid of the funky smell.

Back
Top Bottom