Exploding Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spectrumranch, Aug 25, 2010.

1. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

When we were done shipping Muscovy eggs this summer, we turned them all loose to free range- so most of the hens went and built nests.

Well now we have a muscovy explosion! One hen hatched 25 babies herself. Most of the others have 12 to 14 babies. In the last couple weeks over 150 ducklings have hatched, with a few more to go yet.

[​IMG]

2. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I love it... I have had 3 or4 litter in the last 2 weeks...too...what is it they had time to have the 2 litters this year it looks like....

3. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Why do all you Muscovy owners live so far away?? I'd love to have some scovy babies! They are so adorable.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awwwwwww!

5. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:I need a boy....let me know if you need to rehome one - I have two girls that need a friend!

6. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Sounds like you have quite a problem on your hands! They are the most prolific duck in my opinion, I've had problems with that too.

7. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    So Stinking Cute! Thats alot of ducklings...

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine have been exploding all year, it finally started seriously affecting the feed bill so i had to sell about 40 of them. I have to start being a little more picky about which ones i keep! I am kinda far out for a lot of people around here too but i got lucky and found a guy that was looking to buy a lot at once, to get started with them.

9. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    ohhhhhhhhhh I wish I had a bunch of Scovy babies!!! Congratulations on those little darlings :)

Michelle

10. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    after all the first nests not doing well at all this year and the second nests doing ok...I've got some hens starting or already sitting on their third nests this summer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by