Express Mail Guarantee?

CityChicker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Does anyone know how the Express mail guarantee from USPS works? I haven't had birds make it in a day in so long I can't even remember. I am tracking a package right now that says guaranteed delivery by noon today (it is almost 3:00 now) and it hasn't even left the departure state yet according to the USPS system! What is their guarantee exactly? Is it money back? I remember someone saying something about the guarantee no longer being valid on live birds (unless I am not remembering correctly). Anyone know?

They will refund shipping cost , but not pay for dead birds...if not received by date and time they say.

understand not paying for dead birds...never know ,what kind of health birds were in.

The PO will not tell you but if you read the back of the Express Mail slip, if your "package" does not arrive by the date the clerk writes on the slip (ex. next day by noon) they must refund your shipping costs. It is absolutely guaranteed on ANY package even live birds. I used to do it all the time when they do not make it by the date said but now, I only file the report if the birds arrive dead, which unfortunately has happened a lot since they started forcing us to use filters over the air holes.
However, the SENDER has to do the report, so if you want your shipping money back, you need to let the sender know.

The new rule is the USPS has 3 days (yes, Express Mail) to get the birds to you. If it takes more than 3 days they will refund the shipping. Not the cost of the birds. Meaning 4 days to get a refund. I know, my Postmaster is right down the street.
wink.png

that is also what i was told.....they were losing too much money refunding shipping cost. There are certain times the birds can't ride on the planes, like if the pressure in the cargo area isnt holding, the birds won't make it. Last fall we had problems with shipping because they said the birds couldn't ship on the same plane with dry ice, that was when all the flu shots were going out.

Thanks guys! I thought I had read somewhere that they are no longer giving refunds on express for live birds. I will ask when I pick up the birds for the heck of it and see what they say. These were only like $45 to ship anyway. It is kind of frustrating though when it is a box that is like $150-$175 and it takes three days. I wish more sellers would go back to shipping by airline. In the "old days", we shipped by air all the time. It is really not that much more inconvenient to pick birds up at air cargo than it is at the post office (often it is the airport post office that calls for us to pick up there anyway). It is so much easier on the birds as well only being in transit for 12 hours verses 3 days.

I should add that by "airline", I mean like shipping counter-to-counter by air (like Delta Dash we used to use a lot). I think they are handled differently than if they are shipped straight up as cargo like through the post office.

Last edited:
Quote:
For us USPS is much more convenient. Our Post office is only minutes away............. the closest airport to ship from is 2.5 hours.

We have NOT had any major problems / losses with USPS express mail. Other than a box of eggs (express mail) was put on a wrong plane so it took an extra day for them to reach the customer.

If temps are warm or we are shipping larger birds---- I cut the liner off from the top rows of the shipping box, so they get enough air and allow heat to escape.

We also place feed and fruit / veggies in the box with them. But birds should be used to eating the fruit before they are shipped, so they know what it is.

Also Express Mail that is eligible for a refund....... the refund needs to be requested by the sender. OR the sender would have to send you the orginal receipts to get the refund.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net

Back
Top Bottom