External Nesting Boxes-How to waterproof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChillinWithThePeeps, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ChillinWithThePeeps

ChillinWithThePeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    In The Sun
    We have a coop that has the nesting box built on the backside of it with a hinged lid that lifts up. I have noticed that in the morning the dew drips through the crack where the lid lifts up and when it rains, I have to change all the pine shavings in the nesting box because they are soaked. How do we waterproof the nesting boxes and still keep it functional? The picture I have posted is not our coop, but has the nesting boxes on the back like ours. I am using my laptop and don't have any pictures on here of our actual coop. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I can't really see the hinge but take an old intertube & cut it to cover up the hinge & tack it down.

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    we just made a little flap from leftover plastic , it makes it so the rain and condensation runs away from the hinges and doesn't gather and drip into the coop

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I too have a flap of rubber over the hinge, but my boxes are slanted so everything runs away from the hinge.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I would build a shed roof over top of the boxes. Considering the top of the nest boxes are flat, it can't shed water. I think it needs a little roof over it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:How do you like the coop? I saw them listed here in FL on Craigs list.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm so glad you asked that question! I've been wanting to add nesting boxes onto one side of my coop. You have gotten the answers solved to that hinge/ water problem.[​IMG]

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:That's what I did years ago, thought I'd invented it. I cut strips out of an old intertube and cover the hinge area.

9. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Either way you need to control water run off. I definitely like the roof idea. A simple piece of painted plywood attached a few inches up on the coop with a cleat and you're golden.

10. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

You need a wood baton with waterproof material behind it (we use 5 inch wide plastic used as a damp proof membrane here in GB) then apply a bead of silicone to the plastic and screw to the House above the nest box allowing enough gap to lift the nest box lid.

Mark.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by