External pip on underside of air cell… do I flip?

I’m starting to get a little concerned… little one seems to be trying to move, whole body appears to push upward. I’m also seeing a wing, I think, appear in the pip hole when it does this. It has not actually moved at all though. It did have its bill pushed out of the hole for a little bit and was doing the vibrating thing but was not actually opening or closing the bill. It’s breathing seems to be a bit labored as well.

There is an article for assisted hatches hopefully someone can link it if you can't find it. For your longest pipped one it sounds like the membrane is dry. Put a vegetable type oil on it. You may also need to add a safety hole. Use a nail or something that you can make a small hole in the air cell at the end of the egg.

Coming up on the 30 hour mark sense I first noticed the external pip… it could have been longer but I did not look at underside of egg before going to bed that night. Duckling has made no progress at all. Still peeping ever so lightly now and then. Membrane is definitely dry. I can see a tiny part of inner membrane and it also looks very dry, dark brown in color. It looks like beef jerky. 😕 At times the egg appears to be vibrating very quickly for 5-10 seconds and then stops. Humidity is currently at 75%. Have not opened the incubator sense this morning to re-wet sponges (humidity was down to 67).

Also, can anyone explain what “chewing” looks like? I’ve been seeing it mentioned a lot but it’s never explained what it would look like. I’m gathering an opening and closing of the bill… but quick? Slow? Constant or with breaks?
I would describe the chewing motion to look like yawning.

I'm not sure about the vibrating thing. Maybe it's time to take a closer look. Maybe someone with more experience than me can chime in. @Kiki @Pyxis

I agree that the membrane is probably dry. Have you tried moistening it yet? I don't think safety hole would help. That's just for ducklings that haven't externally pipped, I think.

There is an article for assisted hatches hopefully someone can link it if you can't find it. For your longest pipped one it sounds like the membrane is dry. Put a vegetable type oil on it. You may also need to add a safety hole. Use a nail or something that you can make a small hole in the air cell at the end of the egg.
Sorry, if the bill is outside the membrane you don't need a safety hole.

I did moisten it a bit, didn’t seem to make much of a difference. I can see into and down the shell a tiny bit and it does not appear as though any membrane has dried on/around the little one. 🤞🏻

It does seem to have perked up a bit! Wiggling around a lot more then it was a little bit ago. Breathing still seems a bit on the slow side but maybe I’m just noticing a change in the longer adjustment to air breathing? Hopefully!

Maybe vibrate was not the best word to describe it. It is how it appears to me… The whole end of the bill shakes rather quickly, sometimes for 20-30 seconds and other times just for maybe 5 seconds. It does it multiple times per minute. I’ll will have to see if I can get a video of it through the side of the incubator.

Still seems to be doing pretty well. I’m going to check on little one in a few hours before heading to bed. Hopefully things will still be well!

I did learn yesterday that sense the pip was not in the air cell that it is like it’s internal and external pip and to expect a longer “external” wait. I’m really hoping intervention will not be necessary but I am prepared for it… at least as best as I can be! I have read the assisted hatching article about 30 times and have assistance items collected and ready. I’m just really really hoping we do not get to that point! 🤞🏻

The inner membrane should look relatively transparent when you moisten it.

A video would be good.

Oh, yes, if the duckling didn't pip into the air cell, then you may have to wait up to about 24 extra hours before hatching. How long has it been now?

Sounds like it's probably doing all right. :D :pop

I cannot see any inner membrane. There is a tiny bit around the pip that is brown and dry looking. I can see a good bit of the outer membrane, where the shell was cracked and has fell away, it is dry- a yellow/tan color but does not seem to be getting worse. When I peer into and down the pip, the little bit that I can see, there is no visible membrane. I just see the duckling.

Unfortunately, I cannot get a video. If little one sticks it’s bill out again I will try and get a video then.

The pip is not in the air cell. I tried to mark it on this photo- this is the same egg, before the air cell dipped down. The pip is centered on the “back” of the egg, about 1/3 from round end. It’s been 37 hours sense I seen the pip.

Attachments

• CDA7276F-9A86-4001-A859-5BA8017C3058.jpeg
    CDA7276F-9A86-4001-A859-5BA8017C3058.jpeg
    795.1 KB · Views: 12
Little one is still doing well! Coming up on 39 hours. No progress but that’s ok! Hopefully we see something tomorrow.

Our second pipper (about 13 hours ago) has now created a second pip mark right next to the first!

Pipper who tried to give me a heart attack is the same. It’s only been about 4 hours so no surprise there.

We have a 4th pip! Yay!

We have two more eggs still waiting on external pips. I do believe they have reached 24 hours sense internal. I cannot be certain though. I still see good movement in the air cell so I am leaving them be and will check again in the morning.

There are three other eggs who were a little bit further behind in development. Not much, but a few days at least. They are all catching up very quickly! One I do believe is close to internal pip and the other two have pretty good shadowing in the air cells. I’m surprised at their progress. I did not expect that!

Back
Top Bottom