External run floor - rubber chips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Romeo Flahoy, May 30, 2011.

1. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Hi,
    My outside run is quickly turning into a mud bath so im looking for something to put on floor. Anyone use rubber chips? Are these safe for chickens? I use bark chips on floor of pen with roof but think they would get too wet outside if it rains. What do you use on floor of outside run exposed to elements when grass been eaten? Many thanks.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Never heard of using rubber chips but it should work....I ran AWW 2x4, on edge, around the run and fill in with pea gravel.

3. Lisa7907

Lisa7907 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    I've never heard of the rubber chips either, but I would highly recommend sand.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I seriously would NOT even consider using rubber chips. Aside from the great priciness (remember you will have to add more periodically), chickens will eat them and there are enough nasty things in rubber that I would not imagine it'd be a good idea.

See my 'fixing a muddy run' for discussion of a) moisture control and b) the pros and cons of different things to put in the run.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I Agree..DON'T use rubber, it will really hurt the birds if they eat it, (and they will eat it!)
    I Use SAND ! and LOVE IT !!!!
    it drains well and the birds seem to love playing in it. You can also use pea gravel or a combination of BOTH.
    I also use sand in the hen house itself. makes for EASY cleaning, and if used in the run, all you have to do is run a rake through to find the clumps, then use a kitty litter scoop and your done...5 min a day is all it takes for my 10x10 run !

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think the chicken could even pass rubber...I would reconsider....maybe gravel. [​IMG]

7. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Ok thanks everyone. I'm going to use either sand or pea shingle instead.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The problem with this, think of all the manure being on it, not easy to scrap or pick thru! Glad you decided to use sand. I'd prefer sand over pea gravel!

9. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I am glad you choose sand, you will wonder what took so long once you get it in there....just warning: if the chicks are use to being on regluar ground, it may take a little time for them to get use to the sand, but after that, they will LOVE you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by