External thermostat with a foam incubator experiment.

cheezenkwackers

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2016
Memphis, TN
I am trying something new. I have hatched two batches of chickens and one of ducks in my little giant foam incubator with only marginal success. It seems like no matter how many eggs I set, or are doing well in the beginning, only three to five hatch successfully. I have read several articles about humidity but I do not think that is it (hoping not). I think it is the styrofoam incubator. I read on BYC that styrofoam bators do not contain a thermostat but instead operate using a timer. So, when I turn that little knob, I cause the heater to go on or off more, changing the temperature. The problem with this is if the room temperature changes or if the eggs themselves generate heat (which they do). It was suggested, that the timer be replaced with a thermostat -but I am not mechanically inclined enough to do that. I purchased an external thermostat which has a sensor I taped into one of the egg cups of my automatic turner. I have the thermostat set so if the air temperature goes above 102 degrees F, power is cut to the incubator and it won't go back on until the air temperature drops down to 99 degrees. So far my temperatures seem to be much more constant and I am not worried about temperature spikes (regardless of the room temperature). I am a teacher and the eggs are at school so I cannot control when the school temperature changes. I set 18 duck eggs a week ago. I quickly candled today and it looks like 16 were fertile and are developing normally. I will let you know how this goes. Any ideas would be appreciated.
This is what I bought: inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w/ Sensor for $35.

I read on BYC that styrofoam bators do not contain a thermostat but instead operate using a timer.

This is not a statement that you can make across the board/applying to all Styrofoam incubators. Each brand, and product line within a brand can and do vary. My Styrofoam incubator has a digital thermostat.....and a digital hygrometer for humidity. And I don't even have that fancy of an incubator.

I think maybe yours either used a timer, or was crappy/inaccurate, and you are seeing better results since you replaced it with a part/product that is designed to do one thing and one thing only, control temp. I am glad it is working!

You are correct my incubator is a few years old and I certainly wasn't trying to fault all styrofoam incubators. I am just trying to find a not too expensive solution to help my cheap incubator. If it works I thought it might be helpful for others with a similar product.

Back
Top Bottom