1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Extinction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emily97, Sep 9, 2017.

1. emily97

emily97 In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2017
    Stewartsville,MO
    Okay, guys urgent news...

There are chicken breeds out there that are going extinct. We need to help them. If you are reading this there are ways you can help down below look at the ways you could help save some chickens.

Here
    are some ways you can help.

You can buy or add them to your flock. And you can put out food, add extra comfort, and protection. Go to purelypoultry.com and search in the right corner endangered. You also can obviously breed them to repopulate their species.

Here are the chickens.

Sussex

Silver Gray Dorking

Buckeye

Please help save these guys

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

If the numbers are that low, then whoever get's them shouldn't be adding them to a mixed flock to crossbreed to other breeds. I think that is one of the reasons why those breeds are becoming extinct.

The Angry Hen likes this.
  3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner wicked chickens lay deviled eggs Premium Member

IMO the best way to help is buy a big box of each and send them to me.
    Or better yet let me give you my list of endangered breeds and you can buy a box of each of them and send them to me also.

4. emily97

emily97 In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2017
    Stewartsville,MO
    Our coop isn't ready yet.

5. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Crossing the Road

Oct 26, 2015
    Flufflesville
    My Coop
    There are actually a lot more breeds that are even closer to extinction than these guys. Take a look. :) livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/conservation-priority-list#Chickenslivestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/Poultry_Census_write_up_-_with_charts_-_Final_lowres.pdf

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: