Extra bird?

I have a peking and ruen duck.
Every time they take a bath and shed feathers I see sparrows finches and other birds swooping down to pick up the stray feathers for nesting materials.

Oh, yep, fledgeling baby tree-birds have more volume than sense. I've moved jay fledgies away from the road and had them demand food the entire time I was carrying them. Atricial birds (the ones that are naked and helpless as babies) only learn to be birds after they jump out of the nest and walk around on the ground for awhile, unlike precocial chicks (mobile at birth, think chickens) that start learning right at hatch, so they aren't terribly smart when they hit the ground for the first time.
Probably the sparrow baby thought they were the same species!
That's really cute! Take a picture if it happens again. A minute or two longer of contact won't hurt anything.

Oh, yep, fledgeling baby tree-birds have more volume than sense. I've moved jay fledgies away from the road and had them demand food the entire time I was carrying them. Atricial birds (the ones that are naked and helpless as babies) only learn to be birds after they jump out of the nest and walk around on the ground for awhile, unlike precocial chicks (mobile at birth, think chickens) that start learning right at hatch, so they aren't terribly smart when they hit the ground for the first time.
Probably the sparrow baby thought they were the same species!
That's really cute! Take a picture if it happens again. A minute or two longer of contact won't hurt anything.
That's the weird part it wasnt bald just really tiny. It tried to fly and could but only about 4 feet at a time it seemed. It was quite determined to be a Guinea as it tried several times to rejoin them ... lol sorry lil dude. Yea I stuck with taking pictures especially since I live with just a tablet and no phone but it's ok maybe it will happen again.

Yep, that's a fledgeling. If you see a baby bird that's partially feathered, and can only fly a little bit, or not at all, but can run around, it's supposed to be on the ground. If you find one that's naked, or just covered in a very thin and non-feather-like down, that's a nestling that needs to go back in the nest.
Birds will often temporarily join groups of other birds in foraging, since a group of other birds hanging out in one place can mean there's food in that place. Your little one might think the guinea chicks are on the ground because they found something to eat.

Back
Top Bottom