Extra birds in hatchery order-

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
I placed my original order with the hatchery. They sent me the correct birds although seven of them died within the first few days. We need those specific birds for my daughters 4H project.
Then when I called them to let them know they were going to replace the birds that died from the original order. With it only being 7 they have to have a minimum of 25 to ship.
So in the hatchery and homesteading world around here they are called packing peanuts are roosters. They pack these extra roosters in your shipment to keep the other birds warm enough.

I specifically asked them to not ship be any packing peanuts and that I would pay extra to have a true actual heat pack put in the box instead.

They did not do that and sent me roosters a.k.a. packing peanuts instead.

When I called about it I asked what type of roosters these were they said White Leghorns.
However- they are definitely not all roosters- there are hens here- but I have been told on
On Facebook these look like Cornish cross?

Wdyt?
They are 10 weeks old tomorrow & stink to high heaven.. No matter what
We do to keep their area clean. They are super super lazy, won't even roost, would
Rather lay in mud & they seriously waddle like no other chicken I've ever had before!

Never having NOR wanting a meat bird before..
Enlighten me-

Those are definite cornish X. I would never, ever, buy from that hatchery again and would let them, and everyone you know, know exactly why. Packing peanut roosters are bad enough but sending an unsuspecting person meat birds is simply inexcusable!

I know you had no desire at all to have meat birds but now that you do are you going to butcher them or give them to someone who will? Yes it is possible to raise them for eggs but you run the risk of them having heart attacks and going to waste, not to mention they are nasty lol, I raise them and after the first time I learned to get them as far away from my egg layers as possible due to their nasty ways. Fermented feed does help though in my opinion.

I know you had no desire at all to have meat birds but now that you do are you going to butcher them or give them to someone who will? Yes it is possible to raise them for eggs but you run the risk of them having heart attacks and going to waste, not to mention they are nasty lol, I raise them and after the first time I learned to get them as far away from my egg layers as possible due to their nasty ways. Fermented feed does help though in my opinion.

Additionally, the measures that would have had the best chance of extending their lives would have needed to be implemented prior to this.

Thanks guys-
We have butchered our roosters in the past- but
We have never specifically received or purchased any meat birds. I guess bonus for us we have about 12 free whole chickens going in our freezer!

I'm just irritated that they specifically said they were leghorns whenever I called about them and from what you guys are saying in their habits they sure don't sound or look like they are.

So now I have to do research and find out exactly when to butcher them I have heard some people say to let the hens finish out a little bit more about 12 to 15 weeks in the roosters 12 weeks is that correct?

Thanks guys-
We have butchered our roosters in the past- but
We have never specifically received or purchased any meat birds. I guess bonus for us we have about 12 free whole chickens going in our freezer!

I'm just irritated that they specifically said they were leghorns whenever I called about them and from what you guys are saying in their habits they sure don't sound or look like they are.

So now I have to do research and find out exactly when to butcher them I have heard some people say to let the hens finish out a little bit more about 12 to 15 weeks in the roosters 12 weeks is that correct?

Depends on how big you want them...

If your sick of dealing with them so them now or soon. We raise them to 8 weeks and they are plenty big enough by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure look like Cornish X to me ... There not free, just no extra charge for the chicks, they still are ALOT of feed that I'm sure you paid for, ours were little feathered pigs!

What hatchery did you get your order from?

Back
Top Bottom