Extra clump of shell on egg

Tbrad

Chirping
Jul 20, 2022
Has anyone ever seen an egg with clumps like this on the edge. My ladies range from 2 years to 9 months and this is my first like this. Is this bad?

Attachments

• 1689126589728458384623903342493.jpg
    1689126589728458384623903342493.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 73
Extra calcium on the shells is not worrisome. But it does indicate this hen may be consuming too much calcium. Is she getting treats with high calcium? (Spinach, yogurt and cheese, tofu, salmon, flour tortillas fed as treats.)

While the calcium deposit on the shell is harmless, if a chicken eats too much calcium for too long, there can be kidney damage and even kidney stones.

Extra calcium on the shells is not worrisome. But it does indicate this hen may be consuming too much calcium. Is she getting treats with high calcium? (Spinach, yogurt and cheese, tofu, salmon, flour tortillas fed as treats.)

While the calcium deposit on the shell is harmless, if a chicken eats too much calcium for too long, there can be kidney damage and even kidney stones.
Not at all! It's been hot so I have avoided too many treats that aren't rich in hydration so only tomatoes, watermelon and such. I will say that I had them on flock raiser because the store ran out of layer pellets due to weevils so i had just started that back up last week and I did give them scrambled eggs once this weekend with egg shells, some scratch feed mixed in with chili powder and Italian seasonings. I guess it's likely that the combo may have done that but it was just that one time in the past week.

Thank you!

Membrane gets stuck in the oviduct and gets stretched like a tail, often this is seen with soft shelled eggs, but somehow in the case the tail was pulled into the shell gland, folded around the top and was given a shell coating.
Woe, okay. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom