Extra egg?

CommunistEgg

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
We have 3 buff orpingtons that JUST started laying within the last two weeks or so. Today we found 4 eggs, one being an itty bitty one. Is this something that can happen from time to time? I just want to be sure it's not a bad thing 😂. In the pic I had already cracked the egg and placed it back together.
16086977389458516925924038685660.jpg

It’s unusual to get two nice eggs but glitches do happen with new layers , so maybe? Have you been getting 3 eggs every day? Could one of the eggs have been buried in the nest box and just uncovered today?-that happened with our fake eggs a couple times, we SWORE somehow they were moved out of the boxes just to have them turn up a day or two later.

Do they have access to Oyster shell? How much protein is in there feed? Jus checking! These are both really important his of new layers to have available! You should be feeding at least a 20% protein feed, that will make the yolks a nice bright color, and they are stronger. Glitches in new layers are common, no need to be concerned unless it happens a lot. You can use cameras in your coop to, to find out who is doing it.

I dug through the nest boxes well after dark last night so I don't think it was missed. I suppose I'm just here to make sure it's not like a sign of sickness.

They do have a dish of crushed shells! I think their feed is 18% but it's starter/grower as we have several legbars that aren't quite laying yet but are in the same coop/run.

They do have a dish of crushed shells! I think their feed is 18% but it's starter/grower as we have several legbars that aren't quite laying yet but are in the same coop/run.
Okay, for younger birds that should be fine. Once you start them on layer feed, make sure it is at least 20%. 20% even for younger birds is better. If they have a protein deficiency, they will eat there own yolk out of there eggs to get more protein. When you go to get more feed, even if you aren't getting layer, get a 20% protein feed or more. I know Scratch an deck has a 20% starter grower feed, so does Purina.

Okay, for younger birds that should be fine. Once you start them on layer feed, make sure it is at least 20%. 20% even for younger birds is better. If they have a protein deficiency, they will eat there own yolk out of there eggs to get more protein. When you go to get more feed, even if you aren't getting layer, get a 20% protein feed or more. I know Scratch an deck has a 20% starter grower feed, so does Purina.
They only need 18% or higher. 20% is great, but certainly not the minimum (and over 20% can give them too much excess protein). It's 16% feed that can cause deficiencies, but most higher feeds are fine especially if they have access to forage.

We have 3 buff orpingtons that JUST started laying within the last two weeks or so. Today we found 4 eggs, one being an itty bitty one. Is this something that can happen from time to time? I just want to be sure it's not a bad thing 😂. In the pic I had already cracked the egg and placed it back together. View attachment 2460492
when in doubt...advice from the pros in this forum...scramble it and feed it to them instead. if you get fresh eggs everyday...why ever chance it?

They only need 18% or higher. 20% is great, but certainly not the minimum (and over 20% can give them too much excess protein). It's 16% feed that can cause deficiencies, but most higher feeds are fine especially if they have access to forage.
Awesome. Thanks of this into. My hens got a deficiency from an 18% feed, but they are all adults and older. Thanks for information!

Back
Top Bottom