extra egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss piggy, May 19, 2010.

1. miss piggy

miss piggy New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Hi I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a bunch as I am new to chickens but now have an issue. we have 6 RIR hen that have been laying for about 8 weeks and have been giving mostly 6 eggs a day some times 5 day before yesterday got 7 eggs one had paper shell yesterday 6 normal eggs today 6 normal eggs . Then went to put them to bed for the night one hen was already on the root and low and behold a 7th egg again paper shell with a tube on one end it looks like particlly bloown up balloon. Is this normal ? we give free choice oyster shell any info will be appreciated than you.

2. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I am new myself, but you will get some answers here!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First off Welcome to BYC. So glad you joined the forum.

That happens once in a while. Continue to give the free choice oyster shell. They'll get evened out eventually.

4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    First:

[​IMG]

And that does sound within the range of normal. You can upon occasion get an extra egg - and it sounds like the reason your egg shells are thin is because of the speedy trip - there isn't enough time for the hen to lay down a thick shell before the egg is out.

It's possible that stress may be causing this, but I would guess its more likely just because they are young.

5. miss piggy

miss piggy New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Thanks to all for the info. I guess will just wait and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by