extra egg

miss piggy

Hatching
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Hi I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a bunch as I am new to chickens but now have an issue. we have 6 RIR hen that have been laying for about 8 weeks and have been giving mostly 6 eggs a day some times 5 day before yesterday got 7 eggs one had paper shell yesterday 6 normal eggs today 6 normal eggs . Then went to put them to bed for the night one hen was already on the root and low and behold a 7th egg again paper shell with a tube on one end it looks like particlly bloown up balloon. Is this normal ? we give free choice oyster shell any info will be appreciated than you.

welcome-byc.gif

I am new myself, but you will get some answers here!

First off Welcome to BYC. So glad you joined the forum.

That happens once in a while. Continue to give the free choice oyster shell. They'll get evened out eventually.

First:

welcome-byc.gif

And that does sound within the range of normal. You can upon occasion get an extra egg - and it sounds like the reason your egg shells are thin is because of the speedy trip - there isn't enough time for the hen to lay down a thick shell before the egg is out.

It's possible that stress may be causing this, but I would guess its more likely just because they are young.

Back
Top Bottom