extra egg

cgh919

In the Brooder
May 28, 2015
I have 3 layers and 1 roo in a coop most of the time there are 2 eggs every other day and 3 on the other days but sometimes there are 4. Sometimes we get the 4 about every 4 days. Is there a reason for the extra egg? is there a way to know who is the extra layer without taking the others out? I have noticed this happens more when they free range which I do as much as I can safely but i don’t like to let the roo out any more because he attacks me and won’t let me work in my garden. I think they are Red sex-links and they are at least 1 year old maybe even older due to them coming with the house we have no idea on age.

Are you sure you have a rooster? Let's see a pic. I get 11 eggs out of 11 hens But I either have a lesbian hen or a chicken that lays 2 eggs a day. I caught my hens doing trying to mate. Trying to catch it on film but I never have my camera when it happens. I put my mean rooster down. After he attacked my grandson. I won't tolerate a mean animal. I realize he was just doing his job but to me he went overboard.

Last edited:
Yes pretty sure the black and white one is a boy, he is very aggressive. He beat up the neighbors beagle the other day. I have 3 of the red ones.

My Golden Comet laid two a day for about the first 6 months and tapered off a bit, but every once in a while I'll get a "bonus" egg, she's currently 1.5 years old. Sex-links are egg laying machines, I bet one of your girls is just living up to her factory production roots.

Maybe one of the hens layed her egg after you collected the eggs... Then the next day she layed another one, so it seems like pne chicken laid tow eggs in one day although this is biologically impossible or the eggs will be off shape/consistency/natural

Oh and yes this is a rooster and next time he tries to attack you give him a good slap in the face or kick in the butt and i reckon he'll never try again

I fear he is going to end up dinner. I kicked him the first 2 times out of fear, sense it has gotten worse, I tricked him with grapes one day but the next day he had me figured out by the next day.

Back
Top Bottom