Extra eggs got left under my broody hen.

HeidiGretchen

Chirping
May 28, 2022
Malvern, Arkansas
Right before an out of town trip, one of my hens went broody. We marked the eggs - she started sitting on a day where 6 eggs were laid, so we let her keep those 6. Those eggs should hatch around 6/23. My husband was supposed to be getting eggs while I was away for 10 days. Long story short, he only gathered eggs in the other nesting boxes, and now I have 2 broody hens sitting on 16 eggs, and I have no idea where each egg is in development. I did candle all the eggs to verify they're growing, and based on pics here on BYC, they're anywhere from 50 hours plus.
The 2nd hen went broody later, so when the first hens eggs hatch and she leaves the unhatched eggs, can I move them to the other broody? Do I need to move to an Incubator? I hate to think chicks will be lost because they were accidentally left under the momma.
*I've only had a broody hatch chicks once before, and we limited her to 4 eggs. This new situation has be flustered. Advice please.

My husband was supposed to be getting eggs while I was away for 10 days. Long story short, he only gathered eggs in the other nesting boxes, and now I have 2 broody hens sitting on 16 eggs, and I have no idea where each egg is in development
Can you separate the two hens a bit? Like put up a divider; you wouldn't want to actually move one as it might break their broodiness.
If you can manage to have one hen hatch out the original 6 eggs by her self, that would help sort things out a little bit.
What I do when I have an accidental staggered hatch, is candle the eggs twice a day as they get near hatching. When a egg has internally piped, I take it and put it in a incubator in lockdown. Then, when the chick hatches it goes into a brooder, and so on until all the eggs have hatched in the incubator and mean moved to the brooder.
I then take all the chicks, and give them back to the hen at night.

Can you separate the two hens a bit? Like put up a divider; you wouldn't want to actually move one as it might break their broodiness.
If you can manage to have one hen hatch out the original 6 eggs by her self, that would help sort things out a little bit.
What I do when I have an accidental staggered hatch, is candle the eggs twice a day as they get near hatching. When a egg has internally piped, I take it and put it in a incubator in lockdown. Then, when the chick hatches it goes into a brooder, and so on until all the eggs have hatched in the incubator and mean moved to the brooder.
I then take all the chicks, and give them back to the hen at night.
Thank you. The 2nd broody has moved herself 2 boxes over, which is great. I moved 1 egg earlier, and will move a couple at a time to her. This is her 1st time being broody, so I'm a little nervous she'll quit, but she's really protective of her eggs so far.
If/when I need to move the remaining eggs to an incubator, can I move them all at once? Say both hens have chicks and will no longer sit... I will be borrowing a friend's incubator.

Thank you. The 2nd broody has moved herself 2 boxes over, which is great. I moved 1 egg earlier, and will move a couple at a time to her. This is her 1st time being broody, so I'm a little nervous she'll quit, but she's really protective of her eggs so far.
Thats good, that she has moved herself!
First time mums are usually pretty good, so I wouldn't worry to much there :)
If/when I need to move the remaining eggs to an incubator, can I move them all at once? Say both hens have chicks and will no longer sit... I will be borrowing a friend's incubator.
Yes, if both hens have chicks and have finished setting, you can to that, but then you will be raising the younger chicks yourself. Why I like my method, is that all the chicks get raised be a broody hen; but if you are happy looking after them your self thats fine! (I don't have the set up to raise them for more then a couple of days)
The only thing you would need to watch for is if there is a big difference between eggs, some will need to be in lockdown, while others won't. A few extra days of high humidity won't be much of a problem, but if its say a week, that could well cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom