1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extra Large And Jumbo Brown Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Duppydo, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Duppydo

Duppydo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Which laying hens are noted for the biggest of brown eggs...? Temperment, feed to production ratio aside, just layers that regularly lay jumbo and extra large brown eggs...?

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Check out www.mypetchicken.com

They have a list on the website, but you have to find it. [​IMG]
    It will list which hens have certain personalities, size/color of eggs, and other particulars about quite a few breeds.

Carla

3. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I can tell ya that my ISA browns lay some JUMBO eggs! [​IMG]

My Pet Chicken is a great website! [​IMG]

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Delawares lay large, and sometimes jumbo, brown and pinkish-brown eggs.

5. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Speaking from experience Black Sexlinks lay jumbo if not super jumbo sized eggs! Also, our buff orpington lays extra large brown eggs.

I'm hoping the other sexlinks that we have will lay jumbo sized eggs as well, and I'm thinking they might...

~Caran

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The Buff Orpington hens I had laid larger eggs than my Australorps and Barred Rocks. But, I suspect that the sex-links may be more likely to to have large eggs.

John Henderson at Ithaca College has a good chart for breed selection. It notes egg size.

Steve

7. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    My almost-year-old sex-links are now laying jumbo eggs. I agree, they seem to be the most likely to do it. And they are easy keepers, so they might suit your needs very well.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My buff orp lays jumbo light pinkish brown eggs. Every single day.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My older Barred Rocks, RIRs and Buff Orps all lay jumbo eggs. Older hens lay larger eggs than when they did in their first year.

10. Chiefs Mess

Chiefs Mess Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2007
    Not to change the subject but I have a quick question:

I went to the web site my pet chicken because I would love to start up Marans. All the chicks are sold out, could be the season. The question, has anyone ever order from him? The "about us" does not tell you much.
    TIA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by