1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Extra Niacin? Treats??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kara_leigh, Feb 27, 2012.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I'm new to ducks. I've read that Niacin is important for their leg development. The feed that we got for them is DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower 20%. One of the reviews said it wasn't good for ducks b/c it didn't have enough Niacin so their ducks were having problems with their legs.

How would I go about making sure that they get enough Niacin? What foods can I give them to ensure this? The person in the review mentioned giving them brewers yeast. Does that work? How much would I give them? Can you give them just any yeast? I have some yeast for my bread machine, can I give them that?

Also...what kind of treats can I give my ducks? They are living in an xl dog crate in our house for the time being. I will be putting them in a chicken tractor on nice days as much as possible, but I need to wait until they are big enough to let them out to free range with my chickens. I want to make sure they are getting enough greens and such, but I'm not sure if there are any foods that I shouldn't be giving them. KWIM?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems

you might enjoy reading this information..

3. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'll find the link on treats but I can tell you you can mash up some peas in some warm water and they will gobble them up, and when you put them in the tub for a swim you can throw some peas in and watch the fun. also shredded lettuce. Romaine would be better then iceberg. mealworms is also a great treat, just make sure not to over do on the treats. And don't forget to post pics we love to see pics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=Treats+for+ducks
    heres another sourse

http://liveducks.com/duckcare.html
    and I'll see if i can find the link to safe treats..

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Thank you!! I appreciate you taking the time to share the links with me. :)

One question I have...in the second link it mentions not to ever let them peck you. Is there a difference between pecking and what seems like light nibbling? All of them do this really light nibbling on our cloths, fingers, and my rings. You can barely feel it, its almost like a tickle. Should I not let them do that?

I posted links to their pics in the Ancona thread, but for some reason my codes aren't working so I can't actually post the pictures. They are super cute, though!

They do love peas! I figured they would be okay, so I gave them a few. I squished them up b/c they didn't seem to know what to do with whole ones. They were just chasing them around their pen. LMAO! I'm about to scramble them one of our chicken eggs, and see how they like that. :)

[QUOTE="Miss Lydia, post: 8482216, member: 0"]

I'll find the link on treats but I can tell you you can mash up some peas in some warm water and they will gobble them up, and when you put them in the tub for a swim you can throw some peas in and watch the fun. also shredded lettuce. Romaine would be better then iceberg. mealworms is also a great treat, just make sure not to over do on the treats. And don't forget to post pics we love to see pics.

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=Treats+for+ducks[/URL]

heres another sourse

[URL]http://liveducks.com/duckcare.html[/URL]
    and I'll see if i can find the link to safe treats..
    [/QUOTE]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    when small [young] they nibble everything, and I don't see a problem with it, but when drakes become sexually active they can nip hard that you will want to discourage. And when girls go broody they sometimes they will nip when you check on them and their eggs but I don't try to do discourage that behaviour since it's just being protective.

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I feed my ducks game bird stater crumbles when young then switch to game bird grower pellets later. I get mine from Agway. They both contain the proper amount of niacin. As for treats, they LOVE peas! [​IMG]

I buy the frozen peas, thaw them and toss them to the ducks for a treat. I say to them "peas please!" They go nuts! Have fun! [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Brewer's yeast has the extra niacin, and regular yeast is not sufficient. Buy its a powder in any health food store or health section of some grocery stores. I just sprinkle some of the powder over their feed a couple times a week.

Also, bugs have niacin, naturally. Earwigs are a good source, believe it or not. Chickens love 'em, ducks may or may not like 'em. Hence the Brewer's yeast.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wish someone sold something other than purina feed here.

9. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I'm doing chick feed, then switching to layer feed later on, b/c all of our birds free range and it would be impossible to feed them separately, so I need to buy something they can both eat. KWIM?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I feed everyone starter feed when i have hatchlings whether ducks or chickens, everyone lives and free ranges together and I have no way to keep the feed separate. My layers get Oyster shell on the side anyway, and boy do they love baby food.

I just looked this up, I have always fed my flock Flock Raiser but never from hatch but it says you can right on their web site so thats what I'll do since I have a broody already, I'l just switch from pellets to crumble for a while. http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/FlockRaiser/default.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by